How did I not see this coming! 96khz sounds great but...

I think the more comprehensive explanation is needed, and your examples are very appreciated. Without being clear we really do risk misinforming people because they draw the wrong conclusions from what we say… or rather omit. That was my only point.

Well, my background is basically making me approach this as an engineer, so my natural instinct is to try to understand why something is the way it is.

I know you probably won’t like this, but I think you’re wrong about that. Like I said, there hasn’t been any studies that conclusively showed that we can somehow perceive or make use of frequencies that are above what we can hear.

Having said that, it’s of course possible that your converter or other parts of your system functions better at higher resolutions, but as I said, that’s a different issue.

If it costs you nothing and makes you happy, then sure. And I agree that some processing probably benefits from higher frequencies being captured.

guys i think i need an rme sound card

You will not regret it…,

To answer your other question. I do prefer UAD plugins over Waves too due to the better oversampling / filtering. In other words, all my slipslop form above doesn’t happen in the audible range with UAD plugins (at 44 kHz) - and their converters are excellent too. Best bang for the buck are currently the UAD Twin Duo system (USB3 for PC) as you get great converters + extra DSP with a few fine plugins. RME converters are in the same ball park (using a Fireface UCX on the road currently).

I generally prefer UAD over waves too, except in the case of the dbx160 and EMT plates.
The MK2 uad fairchildren?, la2as, 1176s, pultec etc wipe the floor with the waves versions for sure, but as far as i know not ALL uad plugins over sample, much has been written about this on the UAD forums over the years.

True. Luckily the average UAD user wasn’t satisfied with aliasing and kept complaining until UA implemented oversampling as well as amazingly clever filtering in their blockbuster plugin range.
I only can hope that I don’t have to wait another 10 years until Steinberg updates their sample rate converter in Cubase. They could at least implement the Crystal Resampler from the past WaveLab versions which aliases in an far more inaudible range at least.

[Edited misleading claims about WaveLab’s SRC and a few typing errors, sorry my English is actually not that good]

Wavelab uses SoX resampling now. Crystal Resampler isn’t even included with it anymore.

Now I had to be careful with the WaveLab bashing then :wink: (still on Wavelab 8.5 here, barely using it I must admit).
If Steinberg would integrate SoX in Cubase 9 this would be unbelievable amazing as it would outperform Logic, Studio One or even Pro Tools in terms of up- and downsampling.

Agree the SRC in Cubase is showing its age, that is something that could be improved upon and I guess without a huge amount of work.
What I also would like to see in the documentation, is a list of the included plugins and their use of oversampling if any.
And thanks for keeping the discussion on topic, 96k has absolutely its merits when we are talking DSP.

I posted a feature request but I think Steinberg is presumably aware of it. I guess I am not the first one drawing attention to this issue.

I have the feeling not a single stock plugin uses oversampling (but also aware of that not every type of plugin needs it overall). Even the pricey Yamaha VCM plugins don’t use oversampling as Toshifumi Kunimoto confirmed in an interview:

As the RND Portico plugins doesn’t generate that amount of overtones (they are pretty clean sounding) it’s true that the aliasing isn’t audible here even in 44 kHz (at least for me).
However I am shocked that the new MasterRig in WaveLab 9 aliases like hell. Just use the Limiter with the harmonics / maximizer function or the multi saturator and you get a free decimator plugin. For todays standard (Ozone, Lurssen Console, T-RackS all make use of heavy oversampling) this is pretty lame. On the other side you can use the SoX Resampler and then apply the effects - but I bet the average WaveLab (especially Elements) user doesn’t up-sample and just slam the MasterRig on his final tracks because some 14 year old EMD producer on YouTube said everything above 44 kHz is not needed… :laughing: (Please forgive my polemic tone :mrgreen:).

As I tried the new WaveLab version I scanned the neighbor forum after sample rate discussions. It’s kind of a parallel universe. These guys are talking about 384 kHz including recording (actually sampling not DSP(!)) in 32-Bit float 192 kHz.
Anyway my personal wish is to lower aliasing in Cubase for the stock plugins as good as possible and more important when importing / exporting audio (update for the internal sample rate converter).

http://src.infinitewave.ca/
Is a fun place to poke around, I’m a little shocked by Bitwig’s aliasing, even worse than Cubase.
Anyhow thanks for posting the feature request, I will drop by and leave a +1

Recording in higher sampling rates:

Processing / Aliasing:
http://www.keyboardmag.com/how-to/1255/should-you-record-at-96khz/48364