How do I create tremolos?

I am engraving a Brahms sonata that shows tremolos in a way I don’t know how to engrave in Dorico. Any suggestions? I attached a screenshot.
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 06.22.40.png

The “tremolos” are no problems, but the dots get lost. This, I guess, is metrically correct, but as a professional sight reader, I would prefer the original…

As Frank says, the tremolos are no problem: create a 12:8 tuplet with 16ths as the unit, then insert two dotted quarters, and make them into a multi-note tremolo; then create a 6:4 tuplet with 16ths as the unit for the third beat of the bar, use Force Durations to input two dotted eighths, and then make them into a multi-note tremolo.

You can always add the rhythm dot using Shift+X text if you really want to!
brahms.dorico.zip (64.8 KB)

Andre, you may also have to change the setting in Engrave options/tremolos to connect the beams to the stems for half notes

After the first two bars, the numbers indicating the “tuplet tremolos” are dropped, and without the dots, there is no reminder that they are tuplets. The following two bars (from later in the movement, still in 3/4 time) would be even more fun to sight read without the dots than they are with them!
Brahms.png

I tried it in Sibelius, and it’s actually possible to create it with the dots, although the playback of these bars are different from the normal full notation:

[using Si*us 7.1.3 ONLY because of NotePerformer 2.0]

hear hear :smiley:

hmm…
(A Dorico only version is underway :slight_smile: )

That would be great, but it will probably still take a while. Must be a lot of work to port it to Dorico.

Sorry, what’s the basic process for creating simple tremolos? Can’t seem to find it.

Select the note to which you want to add a tremolo, open the Repeat Structures panel on the right-hand side in Write mode (the one that uses the 1st ending line as its icon), then click the number of tremolo strokes you want to add.

Daniel wrote: “Select the note to which you want to add a tremolo, open the Repeat Structures panel on the right-hand side in Write mode (the one that uses the 1st ending line as its icon), then click the number of tremolo strokes you want to add.”

why not put tremolos into a separate category? i know they’re repeated notes but putting them in the ‘repeats’ section with the traditional repeats icon seems a little odd.

Dear tbabcock,
This has been discussed ad nauseam in the past two years…

I have two dotted quarter notes and I am unable to create tremolos… :pensive: The half notes do it but not the dotted.

Are both notes showing as a single note, not tied? You often have to force duration. Then the 2-note tremolo should work.

I really wish this could be simplified. I mean, everybody who ever needed it stumbled upon this. Semantics being what they are, Dorico should understand and create the tremolo…

3 Likes

I agree with you, Marc. As it is now, the two notes have to have identical appearance, and not simply identical duration. It would be nice if this requirement could be relaxed in a future version.

1 Like

Forcing the duration, without the tie: tremolo works! Thanks guys.

1 Like