How do I Engrave globally?

I don’t want to do the same job two or three times. How do I create a layout from the engraving adjustments made in the score. (I dont speak about page breaks /system breaks or layout spacing formatting but of hidden notes and tuplet tweaks. How do I copy the engravings from one part into the same part (instrument) in another layout. I have made a piece with 5 instruments and now want to create different layouts with different numbers of instruments in each layout, with hundreds of engraving adjustments. What have I missed?

And when can I input arrows into the score? And can you please add an empty (none) notehead, working with transparence seems a little bit odd. I have tried to add an empty notehead with"Notehead Sets" but after 3 hours I gave up. Have Steinberg forgotten composers of contemporary music;-)

If I’ve missed something and this post is completely irrelevant you can delete it:-)

All the best!

Dorico is from heaven sent - (But I cant use it yet, I’m still on Sibelius)

Regarding engraving edits: those don’t copy to other measures, but there is a new “propogate” feature in 2.1 that may meet your needs. It makes score edits reflect same in the parts.

Don’t take offense at this, but Dorico’s philosophy is that you shouldn’t need to make lots of custom edits. Opinions differ among users as to how reasonable this is. I find that I need very few manual edits, but that is admittedly for more traditional/tonal music.

Have you spent time setting global options for engraving and notation? If you’re making hundreds of manual adjustments, it’s possible you’re doing something manually that could more easily be changed in global settings.

Out of curiosity, what sorts of manual adjustments are you making?

Sometimes users post here, “I would like to do X,” and the reply is, “Why would you want to do that??” And I understand the disagreement: the user was not asking for their opinion, but their help in solving the problem! However, it is always good to consider whether there may be a better solution.

For arrows, use the Arrow Crafter font. It’s very nice. You can use hyphens for the line and capital C for the point.

As far as I know, setting transparency to zero is the best way to hide noteheads. It might seem strange but it works fine.

I concur!

Dan and Ben,

I can tell neither of you has ever engraved a moderately difficult to professional level Concert Band or Full Orchestra score. In my real world experience, not one page is finished without at least several manual adjustments to dynamics, text and/or hairpins. Sometimes there are dozens per page. The reason usually is the extremely tight staff spacing inherent in score layouts. Go to the imslp website and take a look at the score for a Tchaikovsky or Mahler symphony and you’ll see what I mean.

Parts, on the other hand, are different. If you set up reasonable default placement for all of the symbols, very few manual adjustments are needed. Still, a client may wish that certain types of text be placed in certain ways and that’s where the “engraver’s eye” makes the final judgement, not the software.

You can tell, eh? :wink:

Of course there are always going to be manual adjustments. I never said otherwise. I merely suggested that if there were hundreds, the OP might consider whether his global options are satisfactory. Hence the word “possible.”

That’s why Dorico lets one set up different note spacing not only for score and part layouts but for each layout individually.

And please do not imagine no one else here has engraving experience; they may just have more experience with Dorico and be trying to help you reach your goals by working with rather than against the program.

Hello Dan!

Thanks a lot for your answer! Well I saw the propagate feature but I didn’t found out how it is working and I couldn’t find it in the manual. The reason why it will be hundreds of edit is very easy, first of all its a long piece and I want to change the tuplets in the places there they collide with the instructions for bowings, so it will be easier to read. This doesn’t happen in every case but in approx half of them. This is very easy to fix BUT it seems very unnecessary to do it in every new layout, I mean its a computer, a software, and this lack of feature has no advantage in my opinion. They also added the possibility to change this kind of things in the engraving mode, I mean thats the hole concept, I just dont want to do the same job several times:-)

In the feature they will add a line/arrow tool but I was hoping this should be implemented now, since version 2. I’m grown up with notation software so I know all about finding tweaks and solutions and try to fool the program but I’m tired of it. I understand that dorico works really nice as long as you create common music but I never do that.

To use transparency works but once again this need to be done over again in every new layout. So if I have 125 notes that needs to hidden in three different layouts i think that there must be a better solution. In Sibelius, for an example, you can chose “no notehead” very easy and then its there in the part.

I will dive into the propagate feature, do you know how it works?

Thanks again for your time!
All the best!
Lars

Propagate Properties is documented in the Dorico 2.1 Version History, here: http://download.steinberg.net/downloads_software/Dorico_Pro_2_and_Dorico_Elements_2/2.1/Dorico_2.1_Version_History.pdf

Read pages 18-19

Dear Lars,
All new features are perfectly explained in the Dorico 2.1 History version document :wink:
[Edit] : Leo, we must be somehow connected :joy:

Beat you :stuck_out_tongue:

Lars, could you post a screenshot showing what you are trying to achieve? There are global settings for positioning playing techniques. There may be a way to minimize that aspect of it. It’s worth taking a look!

If there are some spots where bowings need to be further away from the staff, but it’s not global, you could duplicate those playing techniques and set the duplicates higher on the vertical axis. Then you could assign a macro shortcut, and choose for each given spot whether you wanted a regular bowing, or a bowing with more vertical space. This could actually be a really useful solution. And not, technically speaking, a workaround!

Ok, many thanks!

I was searching in dorico help in the help menu but I didn’t know about this extra manual, my mistake. I will have a look!
Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 17.12.34.png
Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 17.14.06.png

Perfect, it works! Many thanks!