How do I get rid of apparently empty lyric. lines?

Dorico SE 4 Version 4.3.30.1132 (Mar 10 2023) on a Mac Pro.
I have empty lines in the first two systems of the three systems of a score. As far as I know, I never entered anything in those lines. I can’t get rid of them. Everything i can find in the manual about working with lyrics involves selecting a word of the lyric first - and here there’s nothing to select. How do I make these empty lines go away?

Are you sure it’s extra lyric lines, or is it just Vertical Justification of the staves?

Check Layout Options > Vertical Spacing, and reduce the gaps between staff and staff group; or maybe increase the gap between systems.

Also, you might want to reduce the Staff size, which is quite large. If you could get 3 systems on the page, the spaces wouldn’t be so pronounced.

There’s all kinds of wrong going on here, too – no extension lines, hyphens ‘in’ the syllable, rather than between…

2 Likes

If it’s due to vertical space, why would it be different on the third system? This is all one layout as far as I know, which isn’t very far.
When I actually add lyrics to lines 4 and 5, the spacing doesn’t change.

Because your second page is below the percentage threshold “full.”

This is indeed a vertical justification issue. You have two percentages to look at: this is the one that says “Justify the difference between staves AND systems when the frame is XX% full.” Increase that value to something like 85% and the extra space will disappear.

I would put all three systems on one page, if it’s finished. You can search for “Make into frame” for instructions.