how do I import this format?

I’ve got some legacy files named like this:

xxx.L
xxx.R
yyy.L
yyy.R

I have some sketchy notes that indicate these probably came from Digital Performer on a Mac, and I seem to recall someone saying something about “sound designer” at one point, but I don’t know if that refers to these or not. They may be 24-bit, and may be 48k or 44.1k sample rate.

I’m running Cubase6 on Win7. Does anyone have any ideas how to get these files into Cubase so I can export into a sane stereo format like wav or aiff?

As a quick guess, I tried renaming one to xxx-L.sd2. The cubase import dialog can see it, but when I try to import it it just says “Media type not supported or invalid medium.”

Any ideas? Any not-too-expensive tools out there that might help?

Thanks…

You could try the Wavelab demo…it lists them as compatible. (assuming your guess on the format is correct)

Failing that, Audacity might help (Audacity download | SourceForge.net). There are some very generic-looking open and import options, including raw data. And it doesn’t get much cheaper than free. Worth having anyway, you can do a lot with it (e.g. unrestricted LAME export to mp3).

Did not try the Wavelab demo. I did try Audacity, but could not get it to work even using “Raw” format where you can manually set sample rate, sample size, and byte ordering. There is a “skip X bytes of header” setting that I had no clue what to set to, so it may have worked had I known that.

I did however find a little program called sdTwoWav at:

http://www.railjonrogut.com/

Which worked great once I set sample rate and sample size correctly. Also there’s a setting to flip the byte ordering, which I did have to use (most likely because I’m on a PC and the files originated in DP on a Mac).

Used Cubase to pull in the mono L and R files and re-export to stereo wav files, then R8Brain to convert the 48k sample rate files to 44.1k (wasn’t sure how Cubase’s algorithm would work with that, if I exported 48k audio as 44.1k… anyone know?) and I should be good to go now.

-glenn

Okay, that’s good to hear and I’ll download that app you found for my armoury too.

Re 48 to 44.1: I’ve done it myself no prob, quite happy with the results but then I don’t have the ears of a mastering engineer. But then neither do the punters who are quite happy to rock along to mp3s.