How do I invoke a D.S. al Fine type of action without it skipping immediately to the 2nd repeat. Is there another options available? category:8

I just transcribed a song with a 40 measure melody section containing two repeats and I was hoping I I could find and option similar to DS Al Fine to jump back to the melody and then I would and a coda at the end of the melody section to jump to a section at the very end however I can’t seem to fine an option that will play both 1st and 2nd endings.
Is there another way to do this outside of repeating the entire melody section?
Goto command?

Do you have the Play repeats after D.S./D.C. jump option on the Repeats page of Playback Options activated?

Related issue. I interpret this image as first D.S. then D.C.
I can add both but only D.C. is played.
:
DS DC

Dorico won’t obey two different jump instructions at the same location, I’m afraid.

Hi there

It’s hard to say from the small excerpt you posted, but it looks to me as if ‘dal segno D.C.’ means ‘play the first half of the Majeur section again, and then repeat the opening (presumably mineur) section.’

In a modern edition the dal segno phrase would probably be engraved again at the end, which would leave the jump as a simple D.C. If you don’t want to show that, then Dorico would need the D.C. placed at the earlier location (end of bar 8 of the Majeur).

Could be wrong tho.

cheers
Jeremy

If I’m not mistaken, you would want a D.S. al Coda rather than a D.S. al Fine in the case you cite.

Yes, Both checkboxes for the Play Repeats and Play Repeats after D.S./D.C. jump are checked from the location you indicated.
What I was hoping to achieve is jumping back from the end of bar 146 back to bar 9 and then play both first and second endings again of the melody section and then invoke a To Coda at the end of Bar 42 near the end of the melody section and jump to the Coda symbol at bar 146 which plays to the end of the song on bar 158. The only problem is the Segno just skips to the second ending. since I have yet to find a workaround did away with the rest in the melody section which resolved the issue.

Thank you everyone for your assistance with this. I just need to avoid 1st and 2nd endings going forward following a segno.

Andrew,
yes, as JHughes stated, this [trio] in C Major has to be played ABA - after which the prior [Mineur] part in C Minor [not visible in your screenshot] has to be repeated [Da Capo].
Who is the composer of the music?

Thank you JHughes and kb for you comments. It i quartet op.1 no. 4 by Joseph Chevalier de Saint-Georges.
The da capo of the Rondeau is brief

I am less sure about the order of repetitions in the Majeure section. The notation is not consistent across the four parts and three of them indicate Mineure where there is no key change.

I am beginning to think that perhaps the D.C. should be where “au mineur” is indicated (but skipped at the first pass). If I am sure of the intention I can make a layout to achieve it.

Hi again

A rondo form would have been immediately understood by players of the time, even if the notation was ambiguous or incomplete.

I don’t think you’ve shown us the whole piece in the various cut down images you’ve posted, but I’d expect the overall form to be ABACA, and within that, it looks as if the rondo theme itself is aba, as is the minor section.

I think you’re right that the marking ‘au mineur’ is an indication that the rondo theme (A) should be played again at that point before moving on to the following music: the A section is not usually written out each time in a rondo.

Hope that helps
Jeremy