How do I set a scale for the piano roll?

I have been searching in the manual and in this forum for a way to restict the piano roll so I can only enter notes in the selected scale. There really must be a way to do this. I guess I just have not found the right button to press, right?

I have seen a few threads asking for the selected notes to light up in the piano roll and false notes to be silenced in very old feature request threads (2012) so I guess you must have added this way back.

So how do I do it :slight_smile:

No you can’t restrict notes input by hand in the Key Editor to only the scale, however you can force it conform to the scale and/or chords after the fact. You can also see the notes color coded to show if they are in the scale and chords or not. You can also force notes you play to be forced to the scale/chords.

To do any of this you need to add a Chord Track and put scale and/or chord symbols on it. Now if you are in the Key Editor you can set the Event Color to be the Chord Track instead of the default Velocity. Now the note colors will indicate if it is in the scale but not the cord, in the chord but not the scale, in both the chord and scale, or not in either.

The options to force notes to conform to chords/scales are found in the Track Inspector’s Chord tab. There are a bunch of different ways to set this up so you should consult the Ops Manual for the details.

Thank you, atleast I know that I have not missed it. Well I did not get that color coding trick, which is sort of neat and gets a bit closer so thank you for that tip.

It is sad really that there is no simple “enforce scale on piano roll” cause this seems almost as basic as cut and paste notes. It really should not be very hard to add and it seems to have been requested many times before.

Isn’t this something that could be written in the Logical Editor if someone had the ambition to create?

I don’t know the limits of the Logical Editor and have never written anything. But some of the presets have come in handy over the years.

One could create Logic presets to move events around so they fit a diatonic scale, but I’m not aware of a way to prevent someone from clicking on the grid with the draw tool and adding new non-diatonic notes.

For a scrolling chromatic piano editor it’d be a pretty complicated thing to code. The whole point of such an editor is to have unlimited access to as much of the musical entry spectrum as possible.

In the score editor, if one sets a key signature this sort of diatonic filtering is in play.

In the Diamond Drum Editor, one could simply remove the ‘instruments’ representing a MIDI Note event.

You can’t really use the Logical Editor to set pitches as they are entered. The way the LE works is that it finds some existing midi data and then does something to that data (modify, duplicate, delete, select etc). So you’d have to enter in the notes first and then run the LE to change the pitches of the notes. And while you could set up the LE to do that, it is basically duplicating the capability found in the Inspector’s Chord Tab.

I find the color coding very useful. Personally I don’t think I’d use an “enforce” option very much if it did exist. There have been numerous times where I’ve mistakenly entered the “wrong” note only to discover it was more interesting than the “correct” note. Forcing the notes to conform to a scale would preclude those “happy accidents.”

You should checkout the Live Transform function in the Inspector’s Chord Tab. You can just hit any key on a keyboard and it will always be a scale or chord tone.

Not an expert, but raino’s initial explanation clearly put the pieces together so I figure this out.

Another simple, after note entry approach, would be to select the notes, then MIDI menu>Transpose Setup.

Yes, that would do it IF I wanted to be sure I get no out on key notes, but have it reflected in the piano roll will aid me visually to see the structure of the voice and where I could go next. Sort of like “There is you fifth and seventh”. After Quantise is like of a “Ohh, did it get that way”… Which can be good at times, and other times a clumsy way to work.

A pre enforce also could make it easier to use other tools like the SINE to input arpeggios and stuff. I Created a feature request thread for this.

Well if you record what you play live, you would see the notes adjusted to be in the scale in the Key Editor.

Okay yes thanks. That makes perfect sense. LE would not benefit in this case.

I know this is an old thread but here’s a way. You can’t see the scale in the piano roll like Studio One or Fruity Loops but it keeps you in scale when play notes on your midi keyboard (similar to Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol).
In the Track inspector (on the left), go to Midi Inserts and load the midi plugin Midi Modifiers. At the bottom of the plugin select your scale and scale note. Then play a small piece and it should automatically put your notes in the proper scale.

That is correct. Thank you.