How do I use the record shift to line up my tracks? Latency!

i need some help! when i try to record a guitar track over another with my headphones, the tracks all start in different places even if i disable them all and try recording over 1 track like drums and even the click…
i have a tascam mkii 144 that le5 came with. i don’t think i’ve had this issue with recording before but i don’t use it enough but need to start!
in my device setup, the only way to change the latency on my tascam’s control panel is a low to high latency and no buffering options. in the device setup under in vst audio selection part, the input latency is 1.706ms and the output is 13.292 (the lowest i can set it for recording purposes instead of higher for mixing)…
i saw a youtube tutorial about fixing the track alignment/ latency whom mentioned adjusting the record shift section of the same vst audio system panel by recording 1 track hitting the mic or any sound to show the wave form well, then record another track doing the same thing to see how many samples it’s off by. he had to do it a few times entering different amounts of ms there. i’ve tried it and it changed a bit but i can’t nail it down and it gets progressively more off the click/ other recorded track as it plays. i’ve been trying to stretch out the sample/ zoom to get a decent starting point like 4000ms but that’s seemingly not helping.
i’ll keep trying but i really could use some help!