How do you deal with this? An external controller question

After years of asking the same thing without any change in this field…(even not saying: yes we can do it…or no we can’t…letting users totally lost) I’m on the crucial point to change DAW…
Steinberg NEVER answerd on this one…And after having spent thousands and thousands in Steinberg products…I have maybe become at a point of no return…Never a cool voucher or a move to show about Customer care…Furthemore…more expensive than ANY other competitors around…
This time I’m really negative and upset…

So people…How do you deal with external controllers in Cubase…I really want to open a topic here…a true discussion about how you are using your controllers in cubase…We are even unable to set minimum and maximum relative values during midi learn process…They have implemented it in halion…but that’s all…We are losing 95% of efficiency in the controller field compared to Live for instance…I use controllers in my setup…I use cc datas a lots…but what cubase proposes here is so rubbish and non intuitive…
So I’m really curious to know about people…How are you doing?

Thank’s and sorry for being “tired” of this in my sentences…

Gee… I would change the title of your post so that it is a bit more descriptive. Hopefully you’ll get some good feedback.

Regards :sunglasses:

I use a Nektar P6 assigned to quick controls most of the time.

Using the quick controls I find is the easiest and least time consuming way of going about using controllers.

Honestly, I never needed to…and never really understood why users need so many external controllers. All I use is the MOD wheel on my controller, and occasionally an expression pedal.

What exactly are you trying to control?

I use the UC 33 to control the eqs (generic remote) and the pre filters through quick controls and track presets.For"Frequency" and the rest of the plug ins I use Automap and and old Novation controller.
No big issues so far.

I have used various controllers, like Berhinger BCF 2000, Korg nanokontrol, Nektar P6, to the SB CMC series, and home made clunky things. So there’s that.

I can’t find a question in your rant, and I have lost my ability to read your mind. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m using a Komplete Kontrol 49. This gives basic transport functions, but you can also easily make templates to control any VST - nine pages of 8 programmable rotary dials. It’s pretty useful. I also still use the CMC CH/QC and AI controllers. I don’t know why they stopped them. And a Shuttle Pro 2 which worked under 8.5 but now doesn’t work as well under 9.0. I’m a sucker for controllers - I love finding new ways to cook the projects… Some of them even help!

(well the ShuttlePro isn’t a controller per se- it’s a keystroke emulator.)

True. It might work better if it was…

Thank you for your answers. I feel a bit less lonely…
I do techno music, using the external world to pilot my stuff pretty often.
For instance: I own a KeithMcMillen controller which has on each pad the possibility to assign cc and continuous cc (Velocity, pressure, xy mod). Yes, each pad (16) is a nice controller in itself…
In Ableton Live…they did the smart move to do the following: setting relative min and max value so when you push for instance your finger far left on a xy pad, the controlled knob (midi learn) is set exactly with the right percentage chosen… I want to apply a max movement with my fingers resulting in the maximum relative value I have set for my liveact… for a precise result…It is the alpha and omega of controllerism…
If they did so for their own sampler…it means they aware of this… they know it is crucial in this field…they wouldn’t have done so otherwise… but it is written in the plugin not in the daw… and I truly think setting max and min relative value for each midi learn is essential if you’re using serious controllers…

Doesn’t anybody use CC121? I’d be interested in knowing whether it speeds up the work flow/ with just using a mouse?

Probably you should post your own thread if you want specific info.