How Do You Mixdown MIDI Tracks to Audio When Using MR816x?

I recently switched from my Creative X-Fi soundcard to the MR816X. I am very happy with the hardware, except for one thing. With my Creative card (which I still have installed), when I need to mixdown VST played from MIDI tracks to individual audio tracks, all I had to do was go into “VST Connections” and change the input bus from my auxillary inputs to the “Mix L &R” inputs. However, with the MR816X there is no option other than the Analog 1-8 channels (and the corresponding digital channels). How do I choose a “what-you hear” option so I can solo my MIDI track and mix down to audio without having to do an export audio, which would be several extra steps, and would become nerve-wracking when repeated for many tracks.

I use many instruments loaded into Kontakt, each assigned to a separate MIDI channel, so freezing the VST will not work. I need to be able to solo a MIDI track and record it down to an audio track. Without exporting. It’s easily done with Creative. Is there some simple routing option I’m missing here?

Software: Windows 7 Home (64 bit), Cubase 6.0.5 (64 bit), Kontakt 5, Various libraries made for Kontakt

Hardware: AMD Athalon XII 250 3 Ghz CPU, 16GB Memory, Steinberg/Yamaha MR816X

Rather simple:

• set the desired MIDI track to solo
  • create an audio track
  • set its output to no bus
  • now you can set the audio track’s input to your main output (you’re probably missing that option, check the manual about it)
  • play and record the solo’ed track to the audio track
  • after record you can set the audio tracks output to what you need to again

[edit] forgot to mention this method happens completely within Cubase and is thus independant of your sound device

Fantastic! Thank you so much, that worked like a charm!

I got my first Cubase (VST) packaged with a Creative soundcard in the late 90s, and have been using both ever since. Now that I have the MR816X, I’m having to unlearn all my Creative ways. It’s worth it, though, as the the sound quality improvement is a quantum leap.

:sunglasses: