How have I created so many time signature signposts and how can I avoid this in the future?

I think it has to do with changing the default barline style and adding different barlines, but I still can’t figure out where I went wrong, if there’s a way to fix it (I’m aware I can hide the signposts through the View menu, and generally work with them off for this project), and how I can avoid it in the future.

Did you type this in yourself, or is it an XML import?

Typed it in myself, all in Dorico.

If you add an explicit barline, you’ll get a signpost.

How can I add a non-specific barline?

(I changed the default barline of the project to a tick, but then there are extended sections where I need standard barlines – I don’t need a signpost for each one.)

I’m unsure if this will answer all of your concerns but you can hide the signposts (which don’t print out in any case) by going to View—>Signposts—>Time Signatures and deleting the check mark.

See if you can get rid of the extra signposts (where the barlines do not change by deleting the barline. If it is an added barline, the signpost will disappear, but the barline will remain. If that is not the case, perhaps you have defined your tick barlines as the default rather than the exception.

I have done that, yes: I changed the default barline to tick (because that’s the default for most of the project). If I delete it, it reverts to ticks and the signpost disappears. But my point is: why do I need a time signature signpost at every barline change (not time signature change)?

You don’t need a signpost change at every barline change. We’d need to see the project itself to really be able to tell you what’s going on, but my guess is that you’ve created lots of “normal” barlines instead of deleting special (i.e. anything other than the usual single line that covers the whole staff) barlines.

Interstices – 20. 3. 2023.dorico (1.0 MB)
(Project attached.)
Thank you very much, Daniel: you’re right, I have created lots of normal barlines, because I changed the default barline to tick as that’s what used for most of the sections in the piece. However, some sections use normal barlines, and that’s where I get these signposts.

Well, that’s going to be the answer, then: wherever you create a non-default barline (i.e. whatever is not the default barline as defined in Notation Options) you’ll get a signpost.