How to activate piano keyboard in MIDI editor window

In my Cubase MIDI editor windows, I have “Acoustic Feedback” activated in the toolbar, and when I click on a note, my VSTi plays the note, so I hear a sound.

But when I click on the piano keyboard in the display - IE I use my mouse to click on the vertical piano keyboard control in the MIDI Editor - there’s no sound. This happens whether or not the VSTi is set to monitor, or is armed to record.

I’m sure I should be able to get this to work, and I want to use it to play/preview notes… can anyone tell me how to activate it?

Thanks
cubase-midi-editor.png

AFAIK the piano keyboard is usually always active. What VSTi are you using? What kind of track is the event on - VSTi track or MIDI track?

Hi there

Thanks for the answer!

I experience this problem in MIDI and Instrument tracks. The example I’m testing right now is an Instrument track with Steinberg Retrologue, but the problem also affects NI Kontakt 5 (with Grandeur piano library loaded)… and I’ve tested a MIDI track routed into Retrologue too.

I’ve just now confirmed:

In a MIDI editor window, I select the DRAW tool. When I click on the MIDI grid to draw a note, the VSTi is triggered and the note is drawn - great. When I click on the vertical piano keyboard panel, the key I click changes shade, but the VSTi does not play.

The same thing happens with the SELECT tool, using the ALT key modifier to draw notes: if I draw a note, or click an existing note on the grid, the VSTi sounds just fine. But if I click on the piano keyboard, although the relevant key’s highlighted, there’s no sound from the VSTi.

Hope that helps!

in Cubase prefs, “MIDI ->MIDI thru active” was DISABLED. When I enable it, the piano keyboard in the MIDI key editor starts working. That’s a gotcha!