How to add 5.1.2 Downmix Preset?

Following a couple of popular sites, 5.1.2 appears to be a very common consumer set-up for Atmos. Is there any way to add a 5.1.2 down mix preset for the Control Room?
Thx.

1 Like

Still no answer to this there needs to be a 5.1.2 output buss added to cubase they skipped one of the most popular.

1 Like

Where ever overheads are involved you are in Atmos domain.
Atmos beds are always 7.1.2
5.1.2 is a consumer format downmixed on the fly from a 7.1.4 deliverable stream.
For authoring and Mixing for Dolby Atmos to work accurately you have setup your project according to Dolby specs using Setup Assistant for Dolby Atmos dialog.
In the renderer you have choose 5.1.4 and on the control section use mixerdelay’s level and delay sliders to mix the Quadraphonic overheads to stereo for the desired 5.1.2 mix if your basic monitoring setup is non standard.
So yes you can work to achieve an accurate 5.1.2 mix and master in Nuendo. Just follow the standard workflow and trust the renderer.

2 Likes

Thanks for the idea, but I do not have the $999.00 Nuendo. My issue is all the other formats have a bus to select under studio- audio connections- add bus - they have 5.0, 5.1, 5.0.4, 5.1.4, 6.0, 7.0, 7.1, 7.0.2, 7.1.2, 7.1.4 etc… seems they left out just one 5.1.2 this is ridiculous.

I don’t get that. nonetheless you can easily recreate a 5.1.2 bus using mixerdelay. There is a reason why its called a mixer (pun intended) :grinning:

they left out just one 5.1.2 this is ridiculous.

It’s non standard and not part of any deliverables as far as I know, so even if its there was a 5.1.2 mixbus what are you going to do with it. I am sure if there is enough demand then maybe.
On the bright side - The Dolby Atmos Renderer v5.0 update now supports 5.1.2 re-renders.

1 Like

It is standard in many home theater systems. If you go buy a Atmos head you will probably get a 7.2 but when you open the manual and hook it up they give you a choice 7.1.0 regular surround or 5.1.2 for Atmos overhead speakers. I guess the 7.2 is the 7 speakers with 2 sub outputs. My system I have is a Sony str-DH790 you have several choices of speaker configurations you can go 7.1.0 regular surround or Atmos 5.1.2 with Hight speakers sounds amazing with music via Dolby surround up mixer or Neural-x not sure which I like best but I do not even like 2 channel music now. I made a switch box so I can switch quickly between speaker configurations for 5.1.2 and 7.1.0. The head unit works great currently as a 7.1.0 monitor for Cubase but not for 5.1.2 since there is or was no 5.1.2 bus under studio-audio connections add bus the closest is 5.1.4 but this does not rout the sound to the right places. I plan on creating music in 5.1.2 since it is what I have then downmixing it so it can be up mixed back via Dolby or Neural. I have a 3070 video card I’m using the HDMI output to go directly to my home theater head it works you get 7.1 discreet channels in Cubase 12. Talk about fun! Why did they not call it 5.2.2 since there can be two subs? Life was so much easier when I was hoping for quadraphonic to come back. Thanks for trying to help! :slight_smile:

I too have 3070 super and 2 M6000 as our main system, they are mainly for Davinci Resolve which also doubles up as Octane rendering system for our animations. We route the audio from Resolve via d16 channel SDI, the Signal is then physically decoded using dual HDlink Pro 3D extracting 9.1.6 which are rerouted to the speakers in a non Atmos workflow.
About Upmixers…unfortunately the up mixers don’t truly localise sound. you have to keep in mind that Atmos is not channel based and also between 5.1.2 and 7.1, 7.1 would be a better choice. The side speakers truly makes a huge difference.

My best wishes to you and I doubt Nvidia will ever support Atmos, it still doesn’t support decoding of h265 or prores and from what I gather that the success of ChatGTP 4 which only runs on Nvidia Hardware they may have different ambitions which can virtually make music production obsolete.

3 Likes

Interesting that you say that. I know quite a few people (myself included) who consider these side speakers to be rather an acoustic nuisance than a helpful addition, especially in smaller setups. They also don’t translate well to Binaural.

Binaural is still being developed I suppose, the rear-front motion volume energy is not easy to translate and is often dependent on visual cues. The sides really comes to the fore in car chases, war scenes, boxing punches etc. these are difficult to reproduce in 5.1 where the energy is usually experienced in front R&L rather than surround… Even for stereo the rear and sides are first mixdown and then merged using front LCR dsparity analysis and voice channel extraction routines. Of course misic doesnot have to follow cinematic rules and that is the reason why object based workflows are more suited for Binaural mixdowns than channel based algorithms.

I can play an Atmos test video it is 5.1.2 my head unit detects it and plays it great via the HDMI of the Nvidia card. This could be because I paid for the Atmos and DTS apps they were only like $9 or so. I only mentioned the up mixers because this is how I enjoy music now via Spotify etc… As for ChatGPT4 I imagine it will destroy many industries before it turns on us completely. People will have to enjoy listening to music that someone did not poor there heart and soul into. I know music created by an AI or any art for the matter will be of little interest to me other then to see how well it did. When I listen to or view art for pleasure it will be because someone made it that lived, breathed and experienced life as a human. Cheers!