How to add a swing instruction (eights = triplet)

I am pretty sure I have seen this addressed before, but I cannot find any topics on this subject.

It is common in swing arrangements, particularly when the swing is strong, as in a shuffle) to include an indication in the tempo marking, such as the attachment below. I don’t believe this is supported directly in Dorico yet. I thought I recalled a trick where I could use musical characters from the SMUFL font to make this happen, but I don’t see these characters in the standard unicode: http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U1D100.pdf

Can anybody point me to a solution that won’t require fiddling with placement on every part?
Swing Indication.png

There was a discussion on the FB group about this the other day: DORICO – The Next-Generation Scoring Software | Is there any way of faking this with the new tempo equations tool

TL;DR: you can do it with the system text tool, but it requires a little work. Although once you do it, it’s system text. Maybe Luis would be willing to post his example here. I did it as a playing technique, which was also a pain.

I was able to get this much to work as system text (see attachment). It isn’t great, but it will be sufficient for this project. I added system text, then inserted a combination of regular characters and musical characters from http://w3c.github.io/smufl/gitbook/tables/beamed-groups-of-notes.html

The characters I used were U+E1F0 U+E1F3 = U+E1F0 U+E1F3 U+E202 U+E1F3
Swing smufl.PNG

Here’s something I came up with using the playing techniques editor. So it’s definitely possible to make all sorts of variations that look pretty good.
CC3BDE51-8F3B-4647-906C-F425529BC1B0.jpeg
I don’t know how to do it the way that Luis did, but if he shares it, I will fiddle around with it and try to make some other variations as needed until a native solution is available.

I looked at Luis’ example and made some adjustments to mine. See the attachment.

Previously, I was using a glyph for that “3”. Now I simply entered the “3” as normal text in the first line, then added everything else in the second line and used the System Text controls to line everything up.

Also, I had been using U+E1F0 as the first note in each group. It should be U+E1F1.

Help yourself to these if they help (done in Photoshop).

Thanks for sharing! But it is much preferable to achieve this with the text tool. A graphic is difficult to work with (I guess you’d just make a graphic frame, not a bad solution). I’m still holding out for Luis’s example!

Brackets from here: https://www.smufl.org/version/latest/range/beamedGroupsOfNotes/
Number from here: Browse the glyphs | SMuFL
Notes from here: Browse the glyphs | SMuFL

These squares will paste as the quintuplet bracket if you set them to Music Text:   
I’m at font size 12.0pt

Then carefully adjust the Baseline Shift for each one, as follows:
First bracket -12pt
“5” (the number) 0pt
Second bracket -12.15pt (you’ll need to type this)

(the baseline shift is this thing:)

Hit Enter to start a new line.
Paste the note.
Set baseline shift to 6.00pt.

You should have something that looks like this:

I need to do some work, but I’m sure you’ll figure out the rest :wink:

1 Like

Leo, thanks! I fiddled around and got it to work.

I’ll work up a couple of these and post a project on the forum with them for users to copy.

I was so fixated on the details, the actual instruction I put together was wrong. The normal shuffle swing instruction would be like the attached. The reference linked above says to use

textBlackNoteShortStem, textCont8thBeamShortStem, textBlackNoteFrac8thShortStem, space, =, space, textBlackNoteShortStem, textTupletBracketStartLongStem, textTuplet3LongStem, note8thUp, textTupletBracketEndLongStem

all on one line. When I did that, I got close to the example, but the grouping bracket really didn’t line up as well.

Dan, if you have some working better, I look forward to seeing them.
beamed-8ths-equals-triplet.png

Worked these up last night! Swing indications using system text - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

There’s a better solution now: Musglyphs.com.

Thanks, Dan. Great font!

Hi Dan, I just purchased your font. I need a swing equation for half-time shuffle that includes a 32nd note. Specifically:

beamed (dotted-16th thirty-second) = triplet of (8th 16th)
[See image attached]

The manual describes how to do this with 8ths and 16ths . Is there a way to do this with 16ths and 32nds?

Unfortunately not at present.

Hey Dan,

I know you’re done with MusGlyphs, but how difficult would it be for someone to make it into a version using Petaluma?

LiGrü,
Benji

Not easy. Every glyph would need to be replaced manually.

Thx!

B.