How to; Asio4all and Camtasia screenrecording in Cubase?

I need to double post because this is also something linked with Cubase.

How to set up Cubase so I can do a screenrecording inside Cubase, for tutorials, recording my voice with a simple microphone and the screen via Camtasia Recorder.

I have a laptop (Win7) with only onboard soundcard and the ASIO4ALl driver.

edit.

There are ways like this but wont do it on my pc

Edit:

thankx god, I have a bit logic left in my head and the theroy is really like this.

Windows needs ONE driver for the audio (which is needed to set to Camtasia to record audio) :astonished:
Camtasia cannot be set to record ASIO nor ASIO cannot be set to record Camtasia :wink:
Cubase, with ASIO, needs one driver, which is ASIO only :smiley:

If you use a pc with a headset thats is connected with 3.5mm to an onboard soundcard, there i no way to make this working. The cheapest solution to make this working is buying an USB headset with an extra audio driver, so you can set the Camtasia to record this and this works with asio4all, as shown in the first post.

Sure thing, if you are on Homestation, then a good soundcard with a good driver ist best.

I would go for RME which comes with the TotalMix app and Alex Pfeffer made a tutorial on how to set this.
or, if the soudcard does not have the software mix control, the hardware loopback with a cable will do the job.

Which means, you need to connect the monitor outs (booth, left and right) and loop it back to one input of your soundcard. This can be recorded by camtasia then.

If all you’re recording is your voice and the screen, just set the headset mic or whatever as the audio recording input for Camtasia. If you intend to record voice and Cubase’s audio, use ASIO4ALL and push the mic signal through Cubase on a hidden input channel and record it all.

If your laptop sound card presents the “Stereo Mix” recording input (everything that passes through the on-board sound card), you won’t have to put the mic through Cubase, just record audio from that source, but most Win laptops don’t have that.

thanx for the help but what do you mean record it all? In Camtasia or inside Cubase?

My mic is set to an input and I can hear my voice with the monitor activated. I can record my voice inside Cubase but not with Camptasia. When I start recording with Camtasia it tells me the audio is causing any troubles.

Its must be the way how I set the recording device inside win7. But I have tried all with no luck. See Screenshot for details.

dont know if this is interesting, funny or a shame.

Nobody knows how to fix this?

Doesn´t sound like a Cubase problem, so how about contacting Camtasia support…?
Or maybe you should get a better soundcard and or -driver that allows the soundcard to be used with different drivers at the same time.

Camtasia doesn’t allow for ASIO use. You’ll need to use a different driver.

Its linked with Cubase, as there are many users with the same problem. Its not a Camtasia problem either, its more an ASIO problem. But it works on some PCs with ASIA4ALL , asking me why.

If you dont know (and you do not know ), you should learn this too, so be glad I am posting this.

Thank you for your help

Let’s say ASIO doesn’t allow Camtasia , but there are tricks to make this work.

There are ways like in this example, but wont do it on my PC.

How about using the Steinberg asio multi client driver ?
Different audio devices uses the same audio driver than
Cubase and Camtasia can both use the same asiodriver …and more audio programs too
I did not tryed this out, but i use the asio multi driver in windows , because windows can not handle more than one asio driver at the same time.
I like to record video and voice for Cubase so i am interested if this going to work ?

Downloaded and installed this but don’t know how to set this up. :confused:

In Cubase you choose for driver: asio client
In Camtasia you choose : asio client → you can choose there a audio driver than?
In asio multi (setup) program you choose the actual audiodriver what both programs than can use-> i do use the Generic asio low latency driver from Steinberg

It works with my Cubase and a other audioprogram
Perhaps you get it working now

I think i must consult a video about this subject : ASK Video part 4 has about video, but perhaps also more produkt video’s
Recording a Cubase setup with a voice explaining what you ar doing, seems to be straightforward ?

Probably you must set your headset audiodriver as asioclient
The idea is cubase audio output combined with your audio voice
(that i deduct quick from a another link …it is a surmise…)

I am using no extra audio driver for my headset, its connected via 3,5mm connectors, but with a USB Headset including an extra USB driver this could change. I will get another headset to test this.

Thank you

Honestly I do feel like blonde :laughing:

I have tried so hard but when I start this tool, it doesnt show any driver at all. Maybe I have the wrong version? I am on a 64bit system.

O …yes !
Has nothing to do with your hair color … :slight_smile:

I have tried so hard but when I start this tool, it doesnt show any driver at all. Maybe I have the wrong version? I am on a 64bit system.

The asio multidriver is i think only for 32 bit… if you use 64 bit Cubase …you cannot select : audioclient it seems
So i use it on Cubase 6.5 32 bit.
Note: confusion gives this with all sort of programs : 32/64 bit for installing, so you must beware of it

but hey,

thankx god, I have a bit logic left in my head and the theroy is really like this.

Windows needs ONE driver for the audio (which is needed to set to Camtasia to record audio) :astonished:
Camtasia cannot be set to record ASIO nor ASIO cannot be set to record Camtasia :wink:
Cubase, with ASIO, needs one driver, which is ASIO only :smiley:
If you use a pc with a headset thats is connected with 3.5mm to an onboard soundcard, there i no way to make this working. The cheapest solution to make this working is buying an USB headset with an extra audio driver, so you can set the Camtasia to record this and this works with asio4all, as shown in the first post.

Sure thing, if you are on Homestation, then a good soundcard with a good driver ist best.

I would go for RME which comes with the TotalMix app and Alex Pfeffer made a tutorial on how to set this.
or, if the soudcard does not have the software mix control, the hardware loopback with a cable will do the job.

Which means, you need to connect the monitor outs (booth, left and right) and loop it back to the input of your soundcard.

Seems to be a easy task …record a video with a a voice , but than it becomes complicated
If you need 2 asio drivers in this setup , than you can try cubase 32 bit with the asio multi client driver
But one audiodriver is also sufficient i understand to get the video with your voice working ?

Suppose you are playing a audio track in Cubase and at the same time record your explaining how you make your hitsong …

For this you do not need any tricks at all. As long as you do not switch back and forth between song or track positions, changing VSTs or something, you can simply record the voice inside Cubase letting the audio play. Just disable Audio recording in Camtasia, but recording the screen. Saving the recorded screen and applying the AudioMixdown from Cubase. But as said: This is not a good way to make tutorials.

Again, PC laptops are problematic because most don’t have the “stereo mix” recording input in the sound control panel. If you do have that, just use ASIO4ALL and your onboard sound card and record anything or everything plugged in (audio) using that input. That input will record everything passing through the PC sound card, no matter where it comes from. My MacBook can do that running Vista but my PC laptops cannot.

So, assuming you don’t have that input… (right click Sound in control panel and “Show Hidden” and see if it’s there. Most likely it won’t be.)… If it’s not…

1. Everything, including your live voice needs to come out of the Cubase master bus.
  2. Switch Cubase to ASIO4ALL and make sure you can hear Cubase playing through your built in laptop soundcard.
  3. Put you live voice mic into Cubase in monitor so it also plays through the master bus.
  4. Set Camtasia to record the audio coming from Cubase, from the built in Soundcard.

ASIO4ALL can use multiple devices at the same time so if you need a good VO mic, just plug one into your USB ASIO device, it will still show up as an input source in Cubase (via ASIO4ALL) even though your built in soundcard is the audio output. Get the mic going through Cubase, hit record in Camtasia, record it all, the video and the Cubase master out.

This is all so much easier on OSX. Core Audio does all this kinda stuff much better… easier. Although, it’s not quite so hard on a PC desktop because most have that “stereo mix” recording input.