How to assign keyboard sustain pedal to sustain in Cubase?

I have a MIDI (usb) keyboard controller with Cubase 11 Elements, with a sustain pedal plugged into the keyboard. I had it working before, but I think I was messing round with setting the sustain pedal to control some guitar effects VSTs and it no longer works as a keyboard sustain pedal. How do I set it back to work for keyboard sustain? Thanks.

Did you change the settings on the keyboard or within Cubase? Only there you can take them back again.
The sustain pedal normally sends CC64 MIDI signals

1 Like

Hi,

Make sure, you are not using your MIDI Keyboard, where is the Sustain Pedal connected to, as the MIDI Input of any Remote Devices from the Studio > Studio Setup, please.

1 Like

I changed the setting within Cubase. I will try your and Martin.Jirsak’s advice, many thanks,

I still haven’t been able to figure this out. When I press the sustain pedal, it cuts of the notes/sound I’m playing on the keyboard. I’m not sure which setting in Remote Devices I need to edit to change the pedal to sustain.

Hi,

Add MIDI Track and add MIDI Monitor MIDI Insert, please. Then try to press and release the pedal. Can you see encoring MIDI Message. Expected is MIDI Controller 64 value 127, once you press the pedal and MIDI Controller 64 value 0, once you release the pedal.

1 Like

I can’t find MIDI Monitor in Cubase Elements. However on my MIDI controller, when I press the pedal down it says 127 on the lcd display and 00 when I release the pedal. Also, it seems that the pedal is assigned to the mute (M) button on the Cubase instrument track, so when I press the pedal the sound gets muted.

Hi,.
Again, double-check all Remote Devices from the Studio Setup. Make sure, none of them is using your MIDI keyboard or All MIDI Inputs as an Input, please.

1 Like

Hi thanks, it works now :slight_smile: