How to assign other vst sounds for the playback

Hi,
can anybody please explain me ,step by step, how to assign other vst libraries sounds (…from Spitfire , VSL…etc) instead of using Halion sounds?
I have Dorico Elements 4.3 version.
Thanx
P.

You need to first load the plug-ins you want to use into the rack via the VST and MIDI panel in the left zone in Play mode:

Then once you have loaded the plug-ins, use the Track Inspector panel in the same location to change the sound for the selected track in the track overview:

…I guess I’m doing something wrong. After i have loaded into the rack the plug ins, although I assign (in the track inspector) each different instrument, at the end the playback is always with the same instrument (for example the woodwinds tracks will play all the last one assigned…the bassoon …) this with BBC Symph. and/or Synchron.
pl…

I guess the issue is that after you switch back to the Track Inspector panel, you’re not selecting the instrument you want to change the sound for in the track overview in Play mode. The track overview is the main display to the right of the left zone, and you need to select the track corresponding to the instrument whose routing you want to change before you make any changes in the Routing section.

Got it!
Thanx

Hello everyone. I have just joined the Dorico 5 family with the BBCSO Pro library.
Getting to know the program nicely - huge learning curve - moving from Sibelius after > 20 years. I’m having a problem with using other libraries in the same project. The default library is BBCSO (since I’m mostly composing classical style music), however, when i want to add guitar or piano (not in the BBCSO lib, but in the HALion Sonic) then i cannot assign the specific sound to the instruments mentioned. If someone can please give me he IDIOT’s GUIDE to do this, I would be so grateful. Best wishes, Steven

@docvan1 , welcome to the forum.

If the problem is that you cannot see HALion to assign it to an instrument, use the other Tab at the top of the left column in Play mode to add the Steinberg HALion VST for use in the lefthand tab.

Hi Derrek, thank you very much for your reply! Nope, when i click on the VST and MIDI box, all i see is the BBCSO instruments, and i cannot change any of them to another sample e.g. HALion.

Click the + sign (just above MIDI instruments) to add an empty VST. Then click the dropdown arrow and select Steinberg>Synth>Halion Sonic

1 Like

Janus, you’re a STAR!! Thanks, it has worked! Now, how do i assign an instrument e.g. a guitar to it?

Open the Halion interface by clicking the little e button

Find the particular guitar you want in the MediaBay on the right (use the search box)
Then drag the program to the slot you want.

Back in Dorico, click the Track Inspector tab. Select your Guitar Track and check it is routed to your Halion Sonic VST and the channel number corresponds to the slot you put the instrument in.

I’d be interested to know which instrument you wished to reassign, as there may be an easier way if you expect to do this often.

Thanks so much, I will try this straight away. I really appreciate you spending time on this!

Hi there Derrek. Yes i have a large composition in mind, whereby i would need to add a variety of other libraries sounds to the BBCSO sounds.