How to auto stop playback

Hello, can someone please tell me how to make playback stop automatically at the end of a song? When I get to the end of a song, no audio or midi data, Cubase just keeps on going until I manually stop it. I’m still getting used to Cubase after decades with Cakewalk.

Thanks,

JP

You could consider using a marker… and then select Transport / Play Project Range / Play until next marker

Hi there

Would set project length in the project file menu not do this? Not at my machine atm so not sure

Best Regards

Dave Abbott

Both suggestions will work.

The “project length” is a little bit cumbersome, since you might have only a brief portion of your song recorded and the playback will always move on until the whole “space” that you allowed for the length is passed.

I would find an option useful that stops playback after the last event (audio or midi).

Ernst

You can use the Arranger Track…
Just create a single Arranger Part that covers the desired range of your Project, and, in the Arranger list, set it to “Repeats =1” and “Pause after Repeats”.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I think using the Arranger track idea will be the easiest one to use for now. It would be awesome if Cubase simply stopped at the end of all events, midi or audio.

Thanks again,

JP

Sorry to bring this up so late. I’ve been using the Arranger for live sets for a couple of years now, and the Pause after Repeats function appears to not work. This was an issue in an earlier revision of Cubase 8.0 whilst it was fine in later updates, in fine in Cubase 8.5 - but it does appear to be broken again.

The way I got around it was to have an Arranger Event which was a few bars of silence, on full Repeat Forever, and placing that Event in between each of my tracks in the Arranger Chain.

Hmm… still seems to be working ok for me here on C9.0.30 (good workaround though :wink: )
I wonder if maybe your Cubase Preferences are corrupted?

There is that possibility I guess. Any idea which XML something like this could be stored in? It’s not a setting though… so I don’t know.

I remember this awesome feature was in Cubase VST5/32
It was enough to create an event “stop” in the list editor in any part and it will stop when reach the place. sigh

You can use a generic remote device and a virtual MIDI port. Personally I use loopMIDI.

1. Assign your virtual port to the Remote Map as the input.

2. Assign the output of a MIDI track to the same virtual MIDI port. If you wish to drive the target remote map with physical MIDI controllers, arm the track for recording/monitoring and make sure the track’s MIDI input matches up with the MIDI device(s) you’ll be using. Now you’ve got the option to ‘record’, ‘play back’, and ‘edit’ anything you send to this generic remote map. Don’t forget that you can use a local transformer to filter out any stuff you don’t want recorded or processed through this track.

3. In your remote device map, assign a MIDI event to the transport’s “stop” button.

Personally I use CC117 @ 127 since that is what my MPK2 MIDI Controller sends when I tap its transport ‘stop’ button. The first time you build a Generic Remote Device map, it’s a good idea to export a copy of it to insure all your settings get locked in and saved. Really, it’s probably a good idea to make a habit of exporting a copy of all such maps in the directory of your project anyway (you might need them again X years from now to make the project work).

Now in your automation MIDI track you can draw or record events to stop the DAW. In my case, I’d just open the Key Editor (Or edit in place) for my Automation MIDI Track, open a CC Lane for 117, and draw an event at a value of 127 precisely where I want the DAW to stop down.

Here’s an interesting image showing most of the things you can remote control via Generic Remote Device:

Note that the image above cannot possibly incorporate all of the options that can be controlled for all of your VST/i plugins. In short, if it’s a properly implemented VST meta control…you can usually assign a remote control to it. So, the more stuff you have loaded in CuBase, the more things are likely to pop up that you can assign MIDI events to remote control.

By routing things through a MIDI track and virtual port, you gain the ability to ‘automate’ a lot of things in the DAW that do not have a project ‘track type’ or other native automation lane. It’s also possible to convert events stored on such a track into track automation lanes, where they can be cut/pasted onto VST automation lanes, etc. (nice for late phases of a project where you want things ‘frozen’ into a more universal format). It’s also nice when working with live controller motions, since recording via MIDI has a ton of useful options (retrospective; versions based on parts/lanes, or fresh tracks; options to replace/merge/cycle/etc.) that we don’t typically get when recording straight into an automation lane (I.E. with a Quick Control snapped to a VST type automation lane…you don’t get multiple versions, retrospective recording, aux sends, real time transformations, etc. like you can through a MIDI track).

If you use CuBase in live situations, it’s definitely worth experimenting with routing input into Generic Remote devices through a MIDI track like this. I’ve found it extremely useful, particularly when designing ‘organ stop’ type projects where I can arm-disarm tracks for recording/monitoring live and on the fly (I.E. Emulate organ stops with a bank of MPC pads).

It also comes in handy if you want to use MIDI inserts to drive plugins that only have VST Meta lanes for automation (I.E. Using a MIDI LFO insert to drive a control of a VST Plugin in a mixer slot).

Other examples include automating the process of changing cycle points, moving the cursor around, launching a macro, etc. All things that can come in handy if you want to put a live ‘set of songs’ into a single ‘project’ and be able to call up a ‘song’ at the tap of a button/key (or even automate the set order).

Be aware that you can stack maps if you need a single controller to do multiple things at once. You can ‘disable’ maps by setting their input to ‘none’. Each map can also keep multiple ‘map presets’ that can be changed on the fly (also via remote control if desired)…so it really unleashes a LOT of remote control and automation possibilities.

1 Like

Mine stopped pausing at end of tracks. Turning off cycle in the transport fixed it.

Same here… Had this issue for a while and couldn´t find a workaround. But as glennyg stated, simply turning of cycle worked like a charm… Thanks mate…

You can also use an arranger track to do this