How to automatically prevent to split a bar across two adjacent systems?

Dear advanced users and developers.

How could I automatically prevent to split a bar across two adjacent systems? In the following example, I should put a system break on each bar line. Could I configure to prevent that Dorico splits a bar?!
Screenshot 2021-01-12 at 13.44.02|690x212
Thanks in advance!

Dorico doesn’t normally split bars like this - are there existing system breaks in this project? System breaks are attached to rhythmic positions so if you add/remove beats they can end up no longer aligned with barlines, but also if you use “make into system” with notes selected, the last note ends up at the end of the system rather than the start of the next.

This has been a feature request of mine ever since I started using Dorico. 99.99% of the time I do not want to split bars. It’s great that Dorico can do it, and when I need that capability I definitely want it available, but it would be great to have a setting to disable this by default. Casting off would be a lot faster if I could just click anywhere in the bar rather than have to click the barline or first beat. It would also eliminate a proofreading step as I wouldn’t have to scan the systems for a measure number in brackets like I do now just in case I mis-clicked. Casting off is one of the few areas where Dorico is substantially slower than Finale, so the ability to disable split bars would help speed this up a bit.

1 Like

Casting off is one of the few areas where Dorico is substantially slower than Finale, so the ability to disable split bars would help speed this up a bit.

It is true. Inputting musical information is better than Finale, but arranging bars are slower than Finale.

In the example attached., there are no system breaks.
Dorico splits bars where multiple time signatures are used. I would like to send the Dorico project file only to the developers. How could I do this and to whom should I send it in this new forum?

Best regards

Use PM to Daniel or Ulf or whoever or search through posts for their e-mail addresses.
E-mails generally follow the format first-initial-surname at-symbol steinberg dot de

Done!
Thanks!
(Two happy ears in this) happy new year!

I have the same problem in my score, Dorico splits almost the last bar of every system. There are no system breaks, but this is imported as musicxml file, can that be the reason?

If you attach the project here, we can diagnose the problem, but without the project itself there’s not a lot we can offer by way of advice. A little reminder: