How to center objects over notes

Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 11.19.43 AM
I do lots of centering Roman numerals over notes. Is there a setting or an easy way to do this?

How did you add the Roman numerals: staff text or lyric? It looks like you have added it as staff text.
I suggest to write the Roman numerals as lyric. In properties put the lyric above and you can choose also the horizontal positioning: left, center or right.
You can select all, filter lyrics and apply the properties needed.
(maybe there is an option in Engrave Options to make this changes as default but cannot check right now because I am traveling with iPad)

Thank you for this. I can see the potential benefit of it.
When it’s time to start the next project, I will try this method.

Later, I found that you could use lyrics to accomplish this. However, the drawback of lyrics is that they want to stay a minimum distance above the notes. Since I didn’t want that, I abandoned the search. I will continue placing the Roman numerals the same way as before.

Using Playing Techniques is another option. They will will definitely be centred above the note.

1 Like

Came here to suggest this. Playing techniques are the perfect solution.

There might be something valuable about the Roman numerals having a consistent baseline, as lyrics do — instead of being higher or lower along with the notes. It makes for a very readable analysis left-to-right. It all depends on what you want, @spencered.

That’s what I’m doing. It works fine except that I haven’t found a way to automatically center the Roman numeral over the note. It’s mostly a nitpick, but sometimes I have to pack a lot of stuff onto two pages. That’s because I use a tablet, and I need both hands all the time to play my instrument. Can’t be reaching here and there, no time for tapping on glass. When there are tight position changes, I manually center the numerals.

Tried it. I find I have to keep the number close to the note. No time for gazing about looking for a number. It has to be right there on top of the position change for the marking to be useful. Every split second of extraneous thinking is an error waiting to happen.

Gotcha. You know best what you need!

That’s what I’m doing. It works fine except that I haven’t found a way to automatically center the Roman numeral over the note. It’s mostly a nitpick, but sometimes I have to pack a lot of stuff onto two pages. That’s because I use a tablet, and I need both hands all the time to play my instrument. Can’t be reaching here and there. When there are tight position changes, I manually center the numerals.

Playing Techniques should normally centre on the note, so it’s strange that it’s not happening for you.

It’s not a problem most of the time. The best place in my perfect world would be centered over the notehead regardless of which side the stem is on. My gilded lilly design would offer left, center, and right justified. I think there are bigger fish to fry today. Tomorrow, say someone has time on their hands, . . .