How to change a master page's type?

When I create a new master page, I’m asked to specify which kind of master page I want to create: First, Default or Custom.
Is it possible to change that type after the fact?
I accidentally created a Custom page that I wanted to be my Default.

An alternative would be to copy all the frames in the custom page and paste them into the Default set—but I can’t get that to function.

thanks!
Anton

Welcome to the forum, Anton. If you want to attach your project here, I can probably do this with a bit of mucking about with the project itself.

Create a New Master, select “Based on” (your custom Master), and then select the Type to be “Default”. You can only have one First and one Default, so creating a new one of those Types will over-write the old ones.
You can have as many Custom Masters as you like.

Very sneaky, Benwiggy! Thanks for the clever idea - it works!

Anton

Wow, thank you for the reply, Daniel. I’m a huge fan of your work! Have been using Sibelius since 1999; I decided I’d be switching to Dorico a year or so ago, after following the Dorico team’s progress, and finally took the plunge this weekend! Very excited to finally be digging in.

As for this issue: Benwiggy seems to have nailed it, so we’re good here.

thanks & best wishes!
Anton

PS Not unrelated to this: I look forward to the time that frames become things you can copy and paste. It’ll be quite convenient for making worksheets, instead of reconstructing identical frames repeatedly by hand, as I’m doing now. I imagine you guys have a lot on your plates…

Anton,
There’s been a very interesting Discover Dorico where John instructed us about the use of the locks (top left in Engrave mode) and the fields (height, width…) in the properties panel. When you master that, it’s quite easy to perfectly “replicate” frames within seconds. I’ll try to find the link and put it here.

[Edit] I’ve been looking for that Hangout Dorico for twenty minutes and did not find it. I’m talking about the session where frame constraints were discussed and where John taught us how to use them, along with the properties values. I suppose this is not the dev’s work, but someone at Steinberg should make sure that this valuable information is EASY to find… I know it’s here and was not able to find it, no matter what keywords I wrote into google’s search engine.

Thank you, Mark. I’m familiar with the locks, but I wouldn’t normally think of them as impacting one’s ability to, for instance, copy & paste frames, so I’m curious about what you’re referring to. Let me know if you do turn it up!

Bear in mind that ‘basing it on’ another Master means that changes to the original master will be carried over to the other Master (just like Right/Left items that have been duplicated).

Anton, I was simply referring to the fact that, providing you put the correct constraints on a frame, it’s very quick to reproduce the exact height and width of any frame inputting two values in the correct field in the properties panel. Once you get used to it, it’s very fast.
You know that you can copy frames from one page to another, right? So what I’m referring to here is when you create different (but similar) frames in the same page.

You can also copy frames onto the same page if you don’t have another selected in the Master Pages pane.

I do this when I set out combinations of text/music/graphics frames across a page: I set out the first group, copy them and then use cmmd+opt down arrow to shuffle them down the page. When you have two sets, you can then move both so it’s kind of binary.

I have also done this to make four line staffs in a worksheet for transcribing a melody to French Neumes. Make a super thin text box with border so it appears like a line, copy 3 times to make a four line staff, copy all four and cmmd+opt down to move with the same spacing. Rinse and repeat.

I would love to watch the video that Marc refers to though. My method is a little clunky…