How to change key signature on a single track

Not by selecting staves, but by extending the caret to multiple staves before Alt-Enter.

Rather closely related (though not on iPad): I have Harp in Cb major while others are in B major (a not-uncommon trick to make use of unstopped harp stringsā€™ better sonority). No problem so far. But then the orchestra changes to E major. I want harp to keep its 7 flats with no change. Is there any way to create ā€œno key changeā€ for a single instrument? (I would rather not re-strike the Cb major key signature as if itā€™s new.)

You can edit the tonality system, add a new accidental with pitch delta -1 and some unusual glyph, add a custom key signature with seven flats using the new accidental instead of each flat, and apply the new key signature to the harp where the orchestra changes to E major. After confirming that the harp is generating the correct pitches, edit the new accidental and delete the unusual glyph to obtain an invisible Cb major key signature.

1 Like

Input the E major key signature as a local key signature on all the other staves?

With thanks to @johnkprice for his kind and thoughtful response, I have found the solution offered by @Lillie_Harris both the easiest and the most syntax-respectful for my way of working. (It does rather turn the usual key-signature syntax inside out, but still there is a pattern at work there.) It now looks and functions as desired. Cheers!

2 Likes

Hi, @Lillie_Harris. I came across this thread by Googling. There are no updates for this function to the iPad version yet, correct? I mean, iPad still does not allow to enter a key change or a time signature change for only a specific track?

Welcome to the forum @Takuto_Koide ā€“ as I understand it thatā€™s correct, Iā€™m afraid, itā€™s due to a limitation with how the external keyboard interacts with the iPad.

Just wondering (in the meantime) if itā€™s possible to solve this issue by doing this procedure (alt/option Return) on a PC/Mac version and then port it over to the iPad?

@Lillie_Harris Thanks a lot for your response. Understood. Just one more quick question. Is this achievable by using a keyboard (like folio) on an iPad?

Yes, if you have an external keyboard, using Opt+Return to confirm the popover works as expected.