How to changed sample rate back to original after converting them

I changed the sample rate in a project and now cannot change it back to 44100 khz. I was warned but I thougt it only affected the project I was working on. I had up to 42 versions and now after changing the one, all of the audio file have slowed down and I don’t know how to convert them back to 44100. any help? I’d like to changed the audio files back in the project because when you convert them in the media pool they don’t changed in the project.

Did you try just re-opening the Project and changing it it the Project Setup again, and saying "Yes’ to adjusting the audio files?

1 Like

Yes but nothing changes back even though I checked ok to 44100. If I could change back one audio file at a time I could save the project that way.

When you changed the project sample rate, did you also select the option to convert the audio files, or are they still at 44100khz? Because that’s what it sounds like, a faster project sample rate, with slower .wav files will sound slow.

1 Like

I may have…so where do I go in Cubase to convert them…and what do I convert them to?

Have a look at this video on changing sample rates in Cubase:

1 Like

I went through that before but the file clip doesn’t go back into the project in the original place and it somehow seems to have several lanes or takes all together in one clip. Sort of unedited. There’s has to be some kind of workaround…like highlight the audio clip in the project and convert it somehow.

You could use this

Voxengo r8brain

It does batch conversion so you could do all at once.

1 Like

It sounds like you have a more complex problem than just fixing the sample rate. If your audio files where some how deleted from the project window, but not trashed in the media pool, they would loose their position on the timeline, and you have to repositioning them again (not a fun task). That is one of the three options/decisions you have to make when changing the sample rate of project:
(I’m paraphrasing the exact dialogue options)
1 - Do you want to convert the audio file
2 - Do you want to keep the original file
3 - Do you want the converted files in the same position

1 Like

What I probably did was chose to replace the file and was warned about not being able to undo it…but I made a new version of the project to experiment with thinking that whatever I did wouldn’t affect the previous version…turns out tht the other 25 or so versions were all changed. I suppose that when the files are replaced that they don’t end up in the trash section of the pool.

That’s an unfortunate blind spot to run into. I believe we have all had a similar experience at one point or another in our careers in doing the same thing. Basically, changing the sample rate of a project is one of those pucker moments :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have problems with good tone or 3rd party choruses not being clear so I thought if I raised or lowered the sample rate it would clear it up…but I think it either speeds or slows down the audio file. Then if you try to time stretch afterwards it doesn’t work.

Some closing thoughts for future generations,

1 - You are hitting on the heart/mastery of mixing (tonal, spatial balance).
2 - Non-destructive mixing is the #1 difference between where we are today with DAWs vs cutting tape.
3 - When you go up/down in sample rate, without access to original source audio, that’s destructive editing/mixing. 25 yrs working specifically in this area, there is no such thing as lossless up/down sampling without effecting the quality. compressing/decompression of streaming audio files is a different thing.
4 - Unless you are working in a very tiny niche of the industry, the gold standard is 48khz/24bit sample rate, especially when you start mixing in Atmos for music.
5 -Adjust the tone and audio as close to the source as possible, not in the chain. Such as, if using a VST, do everything you can in the instrument. The same with external, outboard processing before A/D on guitars and synths, mics, preamp, etc,).
6 - Bus/group and side chain everything you can as returns to the mix on their own tracks/submix (especially reverb, delay, chorus, expanders).
7 - While I have no technology religion, consider something like iZotope suite of tools for getting the mix level (that’s what I use, it’s $20 a month).