how to copy license to two USB elicense dongles

Hi all,

I own cubase and have it on one machine using a USB e license stick

i have just bought a laptop and want to put cubase on that but im keen not to carry around my main studio computers USB elicense stick incase i loose it.

I actually have a second USB license stick from Nexus when i bought it, so is there a way i can duplicate my sticks, so i can have a portable one and my main one stays at my studio?

Thanks

You can´t copy the license. If you want two licenses, you have to buy them.

oh i see so my license cannot be used on two different USB sticks?

Seems a bit unfair that i’m one user who has two different computers i want to use cubase on and have paid for a copy of cubase that i cannot use in on multiple machines i own. Surely there is a way to way that happen without having to pay twice?

You can use it on multiple machines you own, just move the USB elicenser, or transfer the license.

ok thanks soundbooth,

So there Is def no way to duplicate the license i own onto two usb sticks? i don’t want two licenses i want the same license i have paid for to be on two usb sticks i own.

also i still use cubase 6 and i can see no way on Steinbergs website of buying an additional license as you can on say East wests website. Am i missing it? or would i have to literally buy a full version again?

Again: No - one license one stick - just what you paid for. Otherwise it would be two licenses, two sticks.

A new license would literally equal buying the software a 2nd time.

ahh damn that sucks. really keen to not drag my main studio elicensor around the world with the risk of breaking it or loosing it.

if it breaks or i loose it, will i be able to re download the license to a new usb license stick or is that gone for good?

And plenty of posts about the topic across the forum…

Aloha guys, jus to hime in,

AFAIK the Steinberg ‘elicenser’ is not just yer ‘normal’ USB stick.

I believe there is some proprietary copy protection circuitry goin’ on inside there as well.
{‘-’}

Rather obvious…

The Steinberg dongle is not the same a ‘normal’ USB stick but I have all my Steinberg linceses on a Korg ( I have the Digital and Legacy Collections) dongle, no problems there :open_mouth: .

Really, I did not think that was possible for the latest versions of Cubase. Do you have a license for Cubase on a Korg dongle (and Cubase is working properly) or some other software from Steinberg? Maybe a real old version of Cubase?

Regards. :sunglasses:

Korg, Steinberg, Arturia (and maybe some others??) use the Syncrosoft elicencer, this was developed by a third party but Steinberg have bought out the technology.

(Actually Korg latest software does not use it, they moved to a painfully slow overcomplicated online authorisation that currently is asking me to re-authorise every individual component of legacy collection after every reboot :unamused: )

If you’re worried about snapping it off plugged into side of laptop or think you’ll be unplugging and re-plugging it in a lot, then what some people do is put the dongle on a short usb extension cable, so its the cable taking the brunt of the wear and tear.

1 Like

Vienna software is another example.

I have Cubase 7.5.30, Wavelab Elements 8, all the Korg stuff, Padshop Pro Extension, Dark Planet Sound set and the RND Portico plugs all on the Korg dongle.

I transferred the licenses to the Korg dongle during the time when Steinberg introduced the ‘short’ version of their ‘long’, original Syncrosoft one. Seeing as Korg at the time already supplied the short one I decided to use that instead of buying the new one from Steinberg.

I have’nt had any problems with it.

Cheers,

Mauri.

Matt,

There’s another option but it may or may not be relevant for your scenario. In addition to recording, I use Cubase at FOH for live performance. The thought of dragging a dongle around into a bar with drunken customers (and sound me) makes me twitch. However, I have a few Steinberg audio interfaces (UR22 / 44) and they shipped with Cubase AI. It’s a limited on the feature set (although not by a huge amount), but doesn’t require a dongle. And it’s perfect for this purpose.

So, I do my work in the studio with the dongle, and then copy the projects to the laptop for playback. One thing you need to be aware of that I discovered a couple of weeks ago. Some features, like the ability to have a tempo or time signature track, are not available in AI, you have to use the full windows. However, if you save the project in AI, it turns those features off in the project forever, even if you open it back up in the full version. This behavior is by design, but the Steinberg guys have submitted an enhancement request to the developers to not permanently alter the project in this manner. That said, this is the way it works today, and I believe that applies to any unsupported feature.

Whis is not an issue for my scenario since AI is for performance. However, I wouldn’t be surprised if the AI version was completely sufficient for many people’s needs. The way I found out about all this is that I had AI up and was getting so much done I forgot I was in AI.

By the way, a philosophical note regarding software licensing technologies. I pay the bills as a professional software developer, so I’m all too familiar with the attitude towards piracy. A great many people these days don’t feel like they should have to pay for intellectual property (just look at the music industry). The way I see it, if I should work for free, then so should my plumber. We both have a right to earn a living.

Unfortunately, I can’t steal a plumber’s work, but he can steal mine. Bottom line, the Internet has shown conclusively that if people can take something without paying for it and get away with it, they will. In massive numbers. Consequently, programmers who want to stay in business have to use copy protection because while there are honorable people in the world (this forum is full of them), a huge number ar not and would quickly put you out of business.

All copy protection is a super-sized PITA. Dongles. Challenge / response. Internet activation / phone home. I don’t like any of them, but no one’s come up with a better way to make sure that people get paid for their products. Having been through the entire list with one product or another, I’ve grudgingly come to prefer dongles. There are just too many things that can get screwed up with soft authorization, and they always happen at 2 am when tech support is asleep and you’re on a deadline.

A dongle just works. And it’s like a guitar. If you want to use it in more than one place, yes, you have to take it with you. Once upon a time, a recording studio meant a 24 track tape machine. You had to carry that with you as well if you wanted to do remote recording. So I’m okay with the fairness of a dongle. I bought one copy of Cubase. If I want to have a guitar in the studio and one in my living room, I need to buy two. Same with Cubase.

It’s occasionally a nuisance. But not nearly as much of a nuisance as Steinberg going out of business, which is what happened to a great many software companys (not to mention record labels) who failed to protect their work and insure that they got paid. I realize supporting copy protection is an unpopular position but I write software, music and books. If there’s no way to make sure I get paid for the creation of intellectual property, I’m screwed. So are you, by the way.

Sorry for the ramble. It’s early and I’m on my first cup of coffee. :slight_smile:

There’s nothing wrong with protecting one’s work, as ‘unpopular’ as it may be.

I like the dongle and I have three, a ‘normal’ USB stick for my Waves licences, iLok for a lot of other stuff and the Syncrosoft dongle for all my Steinberg products.
Every time something goes wrong with my DAW system (and it always does, sooner or later) I’m glad so many of my licences are on a dongle, especially when my DAW OS is not connected to the net.

I do understand everyone’s needs are different but in my case, and probably many other’s, the dongle system beats the others hands down.

Mauri.

This has turned into a free-ranging conversation. Moved to lounge.

1 Like