How to create ordinary divisi?

Apologies for the stupid question, but I’ve been searching for an hour trying to figure out how to write divisi. In my score, I have piano as a section player. I want to write two voices on one of the piano staves. How do I do that? Thanks.

Make sure you’re in note entry, with the caret showing.

Position the caret where you want your new voice to start.

Press Shift-V to create a new voice. The little note icon next to the caret shows you whether you are using an up or downstem voice.

Press V to cycle between your current voices.

Thank you!!

Someone on the Dorico documentation team needs to try searching for the basics. A search for “divisi”, or “voice”, does not show any instructions for creating divisi. Documentation fail! All the basic words must map to all the basic functions. One word is not enough. All the basic words must be mapped for searching.

Agreed. There needs to be a section about Voices, under Note Input:

Daniel has put together a thread with the most frequently asked questions, including how Dorico handles voices :wink:

Daniel also cautioned, that the manual would be inadequate, at this time.

Well, I wouldn’t expect to find “divisi” in the manual, because true “divisi” (i.e. a string section splitting up into several groups, each playing music written on a separate staff in the score) isn’t implemented in the first version of Dorico!

But I agree there doesn’t seem to be anything in the documentation on how to create voices, which is what you want to do. You can’t find words that haven’t been written yet.

Incidentally, is your piano really a section player not a solo player - how many pianos are there in the “section”, all playing the same part? That probably won’t make any difference to the way your score looks, though.

Some of this information (Voices) exists in the Tutorial YouTube videos, but I admit the information is scattered far and wide for someone who just wants a straightforward solution to be getting on with.