How to delete a Retake Pedal?

How do I delete a retake pedal symbol?

Go to Engrave mode, select the retake, open the Properties panel, and switch off the ‘Retake type’ property.

Thanks, Daniel. The amount of control on pedal lines in the properties panel is impressive!

There should be a way to delete the retake also in write mode. IMO.

There is. Select a note at the retake position, or move the caret to the position of the retake and type in the playing technique popover (Shift+P) ‘nonotch’. Or, select the note at the position and select from the contextual menu ‘Pedal Lines’ / ‘Remove Retakes’.

But selecting the retake and hit delete would be much faster and easier, wouldn’t it?
Thanks.

That’s not the way the program works. In Write mode you can only select entire objects, not fragments of objects. We’ve provided you with three different ways of removing retakes from pedal lines. Hopefully at least one of them is acceptable to you. (I don’t know whether in German you have the idiom about looking a gift-horse in the mouth…)

I just wanted to add a shortcut to Remove Retake in order get it fast and realized that the shortcut has another name (Kerbe entfernen) in the shortcut menu then in the contextual menu Pedal Lines where it is written as “Erneut betätigen” entfernen. I suppose this was not intended. So I mention it here.

We have: “Einem geschenkten Gaul schaut man nicht ins Maul.”

Well, two ways–the first is not an option for elements, and neither work if you want to remove or add a retake on multiple notes.

Would it be more efficient if the retake button toggled the retake (like the way the articulation buttons work) and use the context menu for the gross removal of the retakes of all selected notes ?

This is an old topic, I know, but I’d like to add that there is no way in Dorico to keybind “remove retake” to a key command.

Since the function is in a menu in Mac, it’s possible to assign it in the System Preferences under Keyboard>Shortcuts (and like any command, you have to make sure it’s a key command you do not already have assigned in Dorico).

There is a way; just not from within Dorico itself. Add the following to your keycommands.json file in a decent text editor (replace Ctrl+K with whatever shortcut you want to use).

{
						"Edit.PedalLineRemoveNotch?OpenScoreID=-1&LayoutID=-1" : [ "Ctrl+K" ]
					},

Instructions on how to edit your keycommands file here: Dorico 3 - Keyboard shortcuts for microtonal accidentals? - Dorico - Steinberg Forums

Well, I wonder if this has something to do with gifts and horses. There was a lot of discussion about tied notes being one thing, but that concept has besides disadvantages also advantages. However I don’t see anything positive in pedal lines and retakes being an entire object in Write Mode. You can’t copy a selection out of a longer stretch of music without getting problems with the pedal lines, deleting retakes is not intuitive and merging pedal lines should be piece of cake in stead of impossible.
Perhaps I’m overlooking something, but I really would like to know why Dorico makes working with basic pedal-lines so nerdy. Or - better - I would like to be convinced about the advantages of pedal lines being a entire object…

The advantage of pedal lines being an entire object is semantic consistency. Each pedal line has a start and an end; and retakes can only occur between them. If all three would be separate objects it would be easy to create/copy a retake in a place where it doesn’t make sense, for e.g. before depressing the pedal or after release. That would create an extra burden for both dorico (for e.g. generating the correct playback) and the user (checking there are no mistakes wrt the order of depress/retake/release signs).

So because you are afraid that some of your customers make mistakes or Dorico sustains the sound of passages that shouldn’t be, you’re making things that should be very easy, unnecessarily complicated? Sorry, but I don’t think that’s very convincing.

I agree it would be helpful to have pedal retakes as individually-selectable objects, perhaps with the default functionality to “group” them to surrounding pedal lines as needed.

At this moment I’m working (yes I finally decided to do this in Dorico) on a movement with constant but irregular alternating 8/8 and 10/8 time signatures. If I insert somewhere a new 10/8 bar (with by itself is not so easy to do in Dorico, HERE you have a source for making mistakes) EVERY retake after this inserted bar is shifted to a wrong spot. I think it’s obvious that this is a very unwanted result of the decision to make pedal-lines and retakes as ‘one thing’.
But even in a more simple and basic situation, inserting notes on a single stave with Inserting Mode on. The retakes are not moving together with the notes. I wonder if there’s any musician here who thinks that is in musical language ‘semantic consistent’.
And if you stick to this so-called ‘semantic consistency’, why isn’t it possible to merge pedal lines? It seems to me that in your philosophy one ‘entire object’ is more consistent than two separate ‘entire objects’…But again, I may be wrong…

A. Using Insert mode is more complicated than you might imagine, because Dorico’s approach is to only add time to one voice. Name one common piece of piano music that has only one voice!
Whatever Dorico does here, it’s going to be “wrong” for some people. If the retakes move with the notes, then the people who are writing in multiple voices will complain. If Dorico does what it currently does, then you (and presumably others) complain. Dorico can’t win.
I don’t care whether it’s musically semantic or not, as long as it’s predictable, and it is predictable - pedal markings behave exactly the same way as dynamics with regard to Insert mode.

B. You can merge pedal lines.

C. Here’s how I’d fix your 8/8+10/8 scenario:

Thanks PianoLeo!
Ah, here I’m I again, complaining about something that is already there. Sorry for that (and sorry to Andras!). And yes, it is true. I’m more a fan of inserting a bunch of things together than focusing on individual voices. It is exactly this topic that kept me away from Dorico until now.
Nevertheless, the plan is to stick to Dorico with this new big project, so be warned. Chances are that I will make more desperate, ignorant, stupid comments I’m afraid…