how to delete all variaudio events on a track ?

I want to delete all variaudio events on a track. I tried “reset variaudio” but that doesn’t delete the events and the project still takes too long to save. Bouncing the track doesn’t delete the events either.
Any help appreciated :slight_smile:
Mads

Hi,

The events are not deleted after the Reset. Just the Value is set to the original one. Do you want to delete it only because of long saveing time?

hi Martin,
Yes. It interrupts the workflow. It takes up to a minute when autosave is on. And in this particular case it was just an experiment and I don’t need the Variaudio events.
I solved it by reloading the original file but surely there must be a way to delete the events in a track ?
Mads

1 Like

Try this – select all VariAudio events (Cmd+A or Windows equivalent), switch to Segments mode (Tab) and press Del. The events will be deleted. Not sure if it will reduce your saving time though.

Thanks sasha,
they are indeed deleted but the filesize and save time is the same. Strange…

Is this still unsolved?

How do one make Cubase “forget” the VariAudio data for a given event?

It is possible to undo it right after one analyzes a track, so my guess is that the ability to “forget” the VariAudio data already lives somewhere in the Cubase code just without a way to use it as a command.

I’ve found a work-around. It’s a bit of a hack and takes long if one wants to do this on many files but:

1. Open the event you want to forget its VariAudio data.
  2. Click on the “Definition” tab on the left.
  3. Use the pencil tool to edit one sample of the data (ideally somewhere in the event where there’s silence) - You must zoom in until you start seeing the samples in order to do it.
  4. Cubase will prompt you “This operation will invalidate the VariAudio data”, click proceed.
  5. Now the VariAudio data is successfully forgotten but if you try to undo what you did with the pencil tool using the undo command the VariAudio data will come back too.
  6. Open the Direct Offline Processing window (F7) and delete the “Drawing” you just added.

Needless to say this isn’t a workable solution in situations with large number of events. If any one else has a better solution please inform.

I think Steinberg should consider adding a command (or at least a button) for deleting VariAudio data.

1 Like

Wow, that is surprising, thanks for that info.

Does deleting the track reduce file size and save time?

Maybe one idea is to create new track version everytime before variaudio editing to keep original wav in first version. I work this way…

Thank you for your reply. I think there might be a slight misunderstanding either about the question or how Cubase operates.

Track versions have nothing to do with the question at hand. Any edits made to audio data will be reflected in all references to that audio data through out the project. Put in a different way: Cubase will not automatically make “real” copies when you create a new track version.

Furthermore, making “real” copies of audio events before editing their VariAudio data is hardly a acceptable solution as one might have done countless of other types of edits to an event after which one wants to remove its VariAudio data.

Steinberg should really add a way of deleting VariAudio data. The code for it clearly already exists in their code base. All they realistically need to do is to turn it into a command accessible to users.

Yes, but if you first bounce duplicated track version and after that start variaudio process you have two real copies of track and you can allways switch between untuned and tuned version or you can combine again original and tuned track.
But I agree, Steinberg must give us option zu turn off variaudio edits.