How to disable Cubase 11 Pro Channel Strip EQ

I posted this sometime ago and noone has given a solution. Every time I start a new track or project Cubase 11 channel strip EQ is on. I can save a track in template and recall it but every time I start or open a new track in the project the Channel strip EQ (in blue) is on . Am I missing something? How can I disable it to stop it starting in ON mode when I start a new track or project?

This is not possible and not necessary… set all gains to flat, it is like bypassing it…
and keeping all bands to off (default setting), doesn’t cost resources

Hi! I am not sure it is a bypass. I do notice a difference in the sound when Channel Strip EQ is on (Blue) and all bands off. I am testing with my NS10’s and it seems brighter when I switch Channel Strip EQ off. Sounds like Channel Strip EQ on/all bands off adds a bit of low mid. Has anyone tested this or can Steinberg confirm what is being discussed here?

Although I am relatively convinced that a linearly set channel EQ does not change the sound, I made the following test.
I saved a tempate in which the channel EQ was bypassed. After loading the template, the EQ was still in bypass mode.

Yes, but every new track created starts with Channel Strip EQ on (Blue)

Why are you reffering that it is blue… it’s green on my setup and has nothing to do with your problem…

So again, I doubt that the EQ switched on would alter the sound if all bands are disabled or flat

Every new track that is not part of the template is of course initialized. For the EQ this means that it is not bypassed. This is also the desired start setting for many, if not most, users.
But you can create track templates in which the EQ is bypassed.

Channel EQ is not adding anything to the sound when bands are null.
Do a simple test:

• duplicate your track
  • set one with EQ on and another with EQ bypassed
  • reverse Phase on one of them

You should hear nothing which means that both track perfectly cancel each other thus EQ is not adding anything to the sound. This is what is (and always have been) happening in my case.

2 Likes

When I say blue, I am referring to the Channel Strip EQ graphic interface. In my system, it is “blue” when it is not bypassed

I know what you mean, but it’s irrelevant to the topic at all…

I think @battleangel has a point and you could settle the issue by trying by potentially trying it, who knows you might be on to something if they - the two tracks - don’t null by cancelling each outher’s sound.

I followed battleangel’s suggestion - Inverted Phase in Cubase 11 Pro - and the sound cancelling occurs, thus no sound. I am a bit disturbed with the fact that my ears tell me that there is a difference in the sound when Channel Strip EQ is on (with all bands off) and when Channel Strip EQ is off (bypassed)

1 Like

I’ve noticed that sometimes my eyes tell my ears things…
In fact, my greatest “eye-opening” experience has been that much of the time my ears could really care less.

The eyes ascribe meaning to things that are meaningless to the ears.

Sorry, it’s early here. I went philosophical…

But you may have a little of this kind of thing going on. I have felt the very same thing about the EQ, not in noticing any sound difference, no… but noticing the bright blue EQ and wondering if it’s doing something.

Sometimes you really have to close your eyes and do a blind test… with someone else pressing the A/B button.

Have you ever worked hard on a mix, and then come back to a mix you barely worked on, from a month earlier, and actually prefer it? (Man, it seems like this happens to me all the time.) I do think that has to do with me using my eyes too much, and not my ears, and overthinking, and not just listening.

Blimey! That’s deep… I did a few blind tests and I can notice a difference. Now whenever I start a track I disable the Channel Strip EQ

Ah, but you notice a difference for something that technically is exactly the same, audio-wise.
But hey, if it makes you feel better…
Maybe your ears are actually hearing the blue light of the EQ eminating off of your computer screen. :slight_smile:

You certainly have given me a lot to think about… lol

1 Like

It’s not unusual to hear something that isn’t there. From real-life to the internet… so many examples of people being “tricked” in one way or another. Our brains are our enemies :wink:
Like we fall into optical illusions, there are also known auditory illusions, situations where other senses impact hearing (it’s very common) or situations where what we hear is based on what we learned (perception of the world).

Audiophiles are great case study :grin:

1 Like