How to divide one long note into several smaller notes in score editor

when composing music, I usually start with longer chord progressions and then elaborate them into actual music. This involves having long notes and dividing them into shorter notes. For this I usually use the knife tool. I spend a lot of time adjusting the quantize values and then, using the knife tool, splitting the notes into smaller note values. Of course then I need to to use the scissors tool to remove the ties and for this I need to click every single note (a total of 8 times in this case to remove the ties) and then finally I can move the smaller note values into place. This is VERY time consuming for me even with shortcuts for all the steps. It would be so helpful if I could for example, have a half note (minim) and divide it into 16th notes (semiquavers) without doing so much work. any ideas?

Switch to the Key Editor to do it.

1 Like

I can’t find the key command looking through my printouts, but I’m sure I saw this done on one of the videos about the chord track.

Yeah ok but I am a composer, I like to work with a score :wink:

What does the wink mean?

The answer is you cannot do it in the Score Editor, just as you cannot do it with a pen and paper, but you can have the key editor open at the same time, so it’s quite easy to switch between them, and requires only one click.

Thank you for your help!

The wink is to try be friendly, else people might think you are being horrible and hurt someones feelings… it is important to always be nice on the forums :wink: