How to edit items which are saved as defaults ?

Hello,
I have a problem with editing of items ( Playing Techniques and Music Symbols ) which are saved as defaults for use in future projects. What is the way in Dorico to do this. I can edit them with sucess in a project but the standars are not affected then.
Greeting
Bertram

Select the edited Playing Technique in the left panel of the Playing Techniques Editor, then click this button.

Sorry my English:
I mean:
I have a problem with editing of items ( Playing Techniques and Music Symbols ) which are ALREADY saved as defaults for use in future projects. What is the way in Dorico to do this. I can edit and save them with sucess in a project but the existing standard is not affected in the next opened project.
Greeting
Bertram

Existing projects will not automatically take on the new defaults. Open the the existing project, open the Playing Texhnique Editor, select each playing technique that you have saved other defaults for and click the button immediately to the right of the star icon.

Thanks for help - but I have to try it a third time. :wink: The Problem is, that a new project - opened as a new one - does not have
the edited PT, but the old one. Only after deleting this old one item, then I can save this edited item in a existing project as a new default.

So it seems to me, that I cant edit an existing default item without deleting it first. I hope, I will be understood. Or I have to sllep a night. Thanks in every case.

Greeting
Bertram

1 Like

Exactly. The problem is still present in 2022 as in 4.0.31.
[wrong thread link]

Why are you quoting a thread from 2016, that’s about a different subject (Engraving Options and Notation Options rather than Music Symbols and Playing Techniques)?

If you want to bring new defaults to existing projects, use the Reset to Saved Defaults buttons in the bottom left corners of the options dialogs. If you want to copy project settings (or music symbols or playing techniques or many other types of objects) from one project to another, use the Library Manager.

2 Likes

Because it’s not unrelated.
You misunderstood Engraving options with “Paragraph Styles”, where the problem lies and there is no “Reset to Saved Defaults” button.
In my opinion user’s OP problem was due to the non-intuitive and bad-designed “Save as default” option (the star). By trying to edit the defaults (which you can’t do) he problably lost some changes he made.

That’s why I’m linking these two threads “together” to highlight that I got problems two years later because of the same issue.

Your mention of Paragraph Styles is the only mention of Paragraph Styles in this thread or the thread you quoted (aside from this post, I suppose). I don’t understand how anyone could be expected to deduce that paragraph styles are the things you have a problem with.

Sorry, you are right, I’m writing in multiple threads about more or less the same issue, and it happens that I’ve linked the wrong thread.
I should have linked this thread here:

And it was not “Paragraph Styles” indeed but “Techniques”, but those dialogs basically have the same design and functionality.

Per the guidelines, please

• Don’t cross-post the same thing in multiple topics.
  • Don’t divert a topic by changing it midstream.
2 Likes