How to edit multiple CC's in the same process?

Included in the feature request poll, so vote up.

Synchronisation of editing cc data between multiple vsti/midi tracks

Like always with Steinberg. If you need something that most user don’t give a … about. Meaning something that is not gonna convince a 13 year old kid in his bedroom to buy a full new version of Cubase. Meaning something that doesn’t represent any $$$ to Steinberg well u can be almost certain that this feature is likely to never be added to Cubase…

Fortunately for us there’s something called Midi Logical Editor + Project Logical Editor + Macro + External Macros when needed.

So today I was asking myself the same question as the original one from 2015 and since nobody guave a satisfying answer during all those years (I think) here’s the best solution I found (if anyone care) :

1. Create a custom Midi Logical Editor Preset to Select CC data, Call it “Select CC Data”

2. Create a new Macro called “Copy CC Data to next Part” with inside it :

-Select CC Data
-Copy
-Activate Next Part
-Paste at Origin
-Select None

1. Create a new series of macros for repeating the task

“Copy CC Data to next Part x2” containing 2 times “Copy CC Data to next Part”
“Copy CC Data to next Part x3” containing 3 times “Copy CC Data to next Part”
“Copy CC Data to next Part x4” containing 4 times “Copy CC Data to next Part”
etc.

1. then Assign this new series of macros some keyboard shortcuts ending with numbers like
    Copy CC Data to next Part x2 = ctrl+alt+shift+2
    Copy CC Data to next Part x3 = ctrl+alt+shift+3
    Copy CC Data to next Part x4 = ctrl+alt+shift+4
    etc.

So now let’s say you want to multi edit at the same time all the CC1 values of a 4 part midi passage :

1. Select the 4 midi containers and open the piano roll for multi edit
  2. Draw or record the new CC curve
  3. Trigger your Keyboard Shortcut : ctrl+alt+shift+4

The great advantages of that solution :

1. After any new CC edit, all CC data is copied to all parts instantly with only one keyboard shortcut (with nothing happening on the screen, everything is done in the background in a micro second)

2. because it’s “paste at origin” the pasted CC data will always be in perfect sync no matter where the playhead is when you trigger the keyboard shortcut. Meaning you can instantly hear your multi CC edit on the playback.

3. It always guives you all the options : meaning let’s say you want to edit the global CC1 for the 4 part String passage, then you always do the shortcut after your CC edits. But if you want to edit only the Violas to have a different CC curve then you edit it without doing the shortcut at the end. And if you have VL1 with their own midi CC curve and then you want to edit the 3 other parts the same way then just use the keyboard shortcut ctrl+alt+shift+3.

There you go… I must say if you want the power of technology with no compromise that’s a very very nice solution for working with tools such as Divisimate inside Cubase for orchestral mockups !

Let’s hope this helps someone !

1 Like