How to enter/playback a drum roll?

I’m entering the strange and unusual world of percussion. On a snare drum, how do you notate a roll? Some evidence suggests using a tremolo, but the playback just sounds really mechanical and un-rolly, using HAL SO.

Is that just how HSO is, or am I doing something wrong?

Unison trills seem to do the trick.

Hmm. It’s still quite ‘machine gun’ rather than a smooth roll, here.

Have you experimented with these values?

… and there we have it. That’s much better.

I just tried this in NotePerformer and in HSO. trems sound awful to me (they are indeed quintuplets at q = 120), trills sound good. I seem to have the same playback options as Leo recommends. What could account for this?

I wasn’t recommending those - they’re the defaults! Maybe try setting the top value to 2 and the bottom value to 1/8.

Understood, but I’m curious to know how Ben’s experience is different…

Yes, I wasn’t using Leo’s numbers, just messing with the settings. I’m also using the Z-trem, which is unmeasured.

I was rather expecting a ‘dedicated’ roll sample, but it’s just doing “Chaka Khan”.

However, It’ll do for my purposes (a mediaeval click track).

Chaka Khan! :smiley:
Thanks, carry on!

Can I access this tremolo window in Dorico elements 4?

No, I’m afraid Playback Options is not included in Dorico Elements.

And what about a drum roll using Dorico 4 elements and note performer? I know that I can get the roll using the tremolo or the trill feature but are those the only two options to create a drum roll with noteperformer? When I use HSO and use the general midi expression map for the drum set, I can get a fantastic perfect roll every time. So there is no way to incorporate that at the same time using no performer because it’s either one application or the other Correct? Are there no other drum roll options?

I suppose you could find free samples of rolls…

I see they’re called ‘rolls’ in the percussion map, so it might just be a question of adding a duplicate with the playback technique changed to ‘tremolo’ or ‘trill’.

I will check into that. It’s just that the roll in the general midi drums is so perfect that it’s difficult to understand why I can’t get an equally perfect roll with noteperformer. For such an advanced and wonderful app not to have an equally competent drumroll doesn’t make sense to me. Thank you so much for responding to my inquiry!

Rich

Is there a percussion map for NotePerformer? As I don’t use it I haven’t needed to find out.

I will check on that.

And what about a drum roll using Dorico 4 elements and note performer? I know that I can get the roll using the tremolo or the trill feature but are those the only two options to create a drum roll with noteperformer? When I use HSO and use the general midi expression map for the drum set, I can get a fantastic perfect roll every time. So there is no way to incorporate that at the same time using no performer because it’s either one application or the other Correct? Are there no other drum roll options?

I’m sorry, Richard, I’m not sure exactly what you’re asking. You can use either tremolo strokes or a trill to notate a roll. I don’t have NotePerformer on this computer, but I’m certain it does play back rolls on snare drums, but you may perhaps need to use one more tremolo stroke than you are expecting to trigger an unmeasured tremolo?