How to Evaluate a Baby Grand?

Good luck, happy hunting Foolomon!

Larry, who won the song contest? C’mon now… don’t leave us hanging. Put down that piano and type yer response! :laughing:

C’mon Robin, don’t be absurd! Can’t you see the man has his hands full (of piano)?

Allow me to put down the piano instead … that piano is ugly and it smells bad!

There … happy now? :wink:

I am always happy.

We also demand a piano status report, now that its touched our lives so! :laughing:

Back.

The piano itself, for $150, is in excellent shape. There are ~12 keys where there are problems with the hammers. About half of them are in the hammer itself (it gets stuck in the “engaged” position) and most of the balance is in the lever action (you really need to use some force to get it to strike the string). One hammer is actually missing at the top of the keyboard.

The piano needs tuning too. Duh.

I’ve left a message for a piano repair person and plan to ask for a ballpark figure on fixing this. That plus the cost of the move will determine if I can actually get this. (Then again, I may just get it and repair it at some other time.)

Pictures are below:

Photos were taken with my iPhone so the quality isn’t so good.

The piano is Grinell Brothers out of Detroit. The problem is that I didn’t see a serial number anywhere so it’s not easy to tell if the piano was actually made by them before they closed shop in the early 60’s or if Sammick built it after they acquired the name some years later.

Looking at the condition/color of the wood in the sound board it would be my guess that this piano is not 50 years old, making it a Sammick. Not exactly upscale but if the repair costs aren’t that exorbitant then it’s still a good deal.

I’d charge at least $150 to take it away :mrgreen:

Lot of effort involved, not to mention the hire of a van and several lads to lift the thing, add on the cost of repair and probably a good tune if not a complete pitch raise, could come to more than imagined !

But back to the TLM 103 ( :mrgreen: ) yeah, primarily but not exclusively bought for vocal use…

Off Topic

Don’t forget that the TLM103 adds a decent amount of presence so if you’re using it on pianos it can cause them to sound brittle. For those situations, I prefer the AKG C414. Go spend some more money. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ha… just as well I have plenty more mics to choose from… But yeah I wanted that lift on the top for close miced vocals.

Is the piano just a vehicle to make money by resale, or a purchase of love (aka, a “Spitzer piano”)?

I have “played” piano since high school but I’m 100% self taught. So my 13 year old daughter who has taken lessons since age 4 and has been taking jazz lessons for the past 6 months plays better than I do, but I hold my own. Owning a piano, especially a baby grand, has been a dream of mine. I’m also hoping my youngest daughter, age 4, will stop playing drums and take a liking to a “real instrument.” :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: (Hahahaha couldn’t resist.)

In all seriousness, this will be anything but a piece of furniture. But since it has to go on the main floor due to space considerations (read: my studio is filled with a bunch of other stuff too) it won’t get played as much as my other stuff.

The song was Sometimes Bad Is Bad by Huey Lewis and the News. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Doo doo doo doo doo doo doo-wop…wop!

Fecking women.

A few days ago she was fighting to see where the piano would go in the house.

Today she’s complaining that the cost of purchase + move + repair is too much. Nevermind that a baby grand retail would be several thousand dollars even for a “less than elite” brand.

Moral of the story: when buying pianos never have a wife. :laughing:

:wink:

If it plays good and appeals to your eyes…

lolwut? I am not to name my piano “Pain in My Ass”.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

:laughing:

A $150 piano is like a $150 car. If it does anything at all, it’s worth more than the price.

I see some very long mic cords in your future…

I see the couch in his future! :laughing: