How to Evaluate a Baby Grand?

Yes, but it was moved out to the garage to make room for the baby grand. :wink:

:laughing:

Piano mover quote = $450. Repairs (based on my detailed verbal description) = $500. Tuning = $125. Piano = $150.

I can’t afford it. Ugh. FML

The people selling pianos are quite often deluded to the actual worth of what they have, your lot want $150 when in fact they should be paying you for removal, then it may just be viable, otherwise it’ll just have to sit in their house forever, or pay for it to be cut up on the spot (as my friend did with a grinder) and recycled for scrap. I gave a good upright away years ago because we didn’t want/need it anymore, but at least I know it went to a good home and was going to be played regularly, it was done at their expense with a borrowed van and friends to lift it.

+1

If it ultimately doesn’t work out, you can always bust it up and put the kindling in the fireplace … like I said before … $150 is cheaper than a cord of firewood.

Wouldn’t the toxins from burning all that varnish, paint, lacquer whatever in a fireplace. It’s worthless.

Toxins? Nitrocellulose lacquer? It’s all over '50s and '60s era cars. And since it never completely cures … every time a classic muscle car goes by … or one is playing a Fender American Standard guitar … they are exposed. I don’t worry about such things. The DOD has been known to burn the worst-chemicals-on-Earth in open trenches in the desert. Now that’s worth worrying about!

In any case, I don’t really expect the piano to be burned. I’m thinking it can be salvaged and put to good use making good music … much like those '50 and '60s era muscle cars still provide good, and muscular, transportation … toxins notwithstanding. :wink:

Or

I saw another baby grand for sale in another part of NJ (pictures were a different piano) for $150, so although I would have loved to get one (or the other) it’s not like I’m worried another similar deal won’t come along when I can afford it.

I agree. But my point is that there are people in this area that are in situations where either they are moving and don’t want to pay the cost of moving + insurance, or their parents bought it for them but they no longer want it, etc. So there are deals to be found out there even though you are correct that you shouldn’t normally expect to find something like this.

When we first moved in to our house last year (and was completely broke) I saw someone giving away a baby grand. The pictures showed a piano that seemed to be in great shape, but I already had to borrow money from family to cover the closing costs so I couldn’t pay for anything to be honest.

I’m optimistic that I’ll find something similar when we are ready for it.