How to get rid of UR824's Cubase/Nuendo integration ?

I can’t find a solution to permanently get rid of Cubase/Nuendo hardware integration.

It doesn’t fit my way of working when doing long voice over sessions (which I do on a regular basis).
I lose the talent talk back when I load the next session. I can’t hear the talent when monitor is not engaged etc…

The solution commonly advised in this forum and on Gearslutz is to uninstall Steinberg UR824 application but it removes the desktop mixer as well. Not what I want of course.
Then I tried to delete the “ur824_extension.dll” both under C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Steinberg\Shared Components and C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\Shared Components but they both come back on Nuendo launch. I reckon those files are cached somewhere…

So which files should I be looking for ?
TIA,

Bifop

uninstall the whole 824 application then extract the component parts from the installer and install everything except the extensions.

MC

Thanks Norbury.
Following your advice, I’ve been able to extract components but no luck as far as repackaging the setup.exe (I’ve used universal extractor).
The “Steinberg UR824 Applications.msi” won’t install once extracted.
Which tool did you use ?

I think I’ve used 7-zip to do this kind of thing in the past.

MC

Thanks again Norbury but still no luck doing it with 7zip.
I’ll try harder later as I have the yearly break from the TV show I’m doing voice over sessions for.

I wish Steinberg would include an option switch to integrate or not the UR824 into Nuendo.
In a music session, I love the hardware integration feature.

Best regards,
Bifop

What happened to the reply user C2d wrote ?

He was advising to make a dummy dll to replace the steinberg’s one.
He did this on a ur44.

I was repying to him when, poof, no more post.

Censorship ?

no censorship - a friend of mine told me offline that it’s probably too hacky to post here. Short of time to update the post or come up with something better, I’ve just deleted it, sorry for a confusion.

Self censorship… True democracy in action.
:wink:

The fake Dll method works with Nuendo 7 and the UR824.

Thanks C24 !

Hi,

This does not seem to work with Cubase 8. I can´t believe I have to plan on changing otherwise really good UR824 to another sound card just because of this forced integration. I can´t believe Steinbeg is not doing anything to give users the freedom to choose how they use their sound card and Cubase. The forced integration is really clumsy when you have to make new settings for each new project you open. I want the monitoring option in the background to stay open all the time no matter what project I open. I do not want to start each project by making changes to monitoring settings. Hello Steinberg? Please do something.

It should work. Nuendo 7 and Cubase 8 share the same foundations.
Be sure to do both fake dll (see my previous posts).
You have to make known extensions visible in Explorer.

Did anyone figure this out?

… Thought I had been explicit… :frowning:

Well again : Create a fake dll (a text file that you rename ur824_extension.dll) and put it in the two mentioned places in my first post.
Rename the actual ones to reuse them later without having to reinstall. (for ex. : ur824_extension.old).

Thanks it worked perfectly!

This doesn’t seem to work anymore. As soon as i run the UR DSP app, it creates a new ur824_extension.dll
Any other ideas?

Check that the “fake” UR824_extension.dll is 0ko and properly named. If it is 722ko, then it is the real one.
Double check that “show known extension files” is active in your windows explorer ; Otherwise you may get a “UR824_extension.dll.txt” and Nuendo will generate a valid extension.dll.

If it does it, that is because you deleted the extension file and didn’t put a dll placeholder to trick Nuendo.