How to hide the barline when there is a time signature?

Hi, I’m working on my school assessment. I need to copy an existing score into my notation software. The score looks like this:

And this is what I have done.

Then, I realized that I can’t really delete the barline beside the time signature. When I press delete, it just does nothing.
Please help me, is there a way to delete or hide the barline beside the time signature?

Welcome to the forum, 4841283llao (catchy screen name :slight_smile: ).

There’s no built-in way of doing this (though showing range indicators at the start of the vocal staff would be a nice feature for Dorico to have in future, I think), but it’s possible to do reasonably easily provided you don’t need dashed barlines anywhere in the piece. Select the initial time signature and in the Bars and Barlines panel on the right-hand side in Write mode, choose a dashed barline. Then go to the Barlines page of Engraving Options and set ‘Dash length for dashed barlines’ to 0 spaces.

Thank you very much!
My friend found a different way to achieve the same effect.

Create a 5/4 for the very first bar and a 4/4 for the second bar.
Hide the 5/4 time signature in engrave mode.
Then, in engrave mode, “drag” the 4/4 time signature from the second bar to the first bar to pretend that “4/4” belongs to the first bar.

Nice trick !

That indeed is a nice trick and I think the spacing of the Dorico version is much nicer too!

Well done!

(though showing range indicators at the start of the vocal staff would be a nice feature for Dorico to have in future, I think)

Nice to read that the seed has been planted. Let’s hope that Daniel will water it daily!

Indeed.

To the OP-- the other way to do this is with a break between using the flow as your range indicator and putting all the music into a “coda”.

If a range display is implemented, will we be able to choose to have it poll the entire composition or just a flow as needed? (A request.)

I hope so. I would presume it would be by flow, but I suppose one at the beginning of a suite could be useful for the whole suite too.

It would be computationally a lot more expensive to do it for all flows, and not very Dorico-like (given that flows are completely independent). The problem in general would be keeping it up-to-date efficiently because potentially every edit made to every note could change the range calculation.

If it can’t work on all flows automatically, maybe it can be possible to set the range manually if you need it?

Yes, it could be done manually, but I thought I’d ask. :smiley: