How to identify between songs in a multi song file

Hi

I’m mixing down one file that contains multiple songs and i can’t find how to put in references between the songs inside the file. I would like the person who opens the file to be able to switch between songs inside the file or at least have some idea that one song has ended and another started, without just having to guess from the silence in between. I hope this makes any cense and somebody can help, Haraldur :slight_smile:

What file type should the mix be exported to?

Hi ASM

In this case its just mp3

I don’t think this is possible in Cubase. I don’t even know whether this is possible within mp3 at all. Have you done some research on the mp3 format if it allows for song seperation markers within a file?

It can’t really be done in an audio file in a way that will just work for any audio player.

If it’s for a specific person only you could do it with DDP and have them use a DDP player.
Or split the songs out and provide a playlist for an audio player you know they use.

Okay…thanks for all the answers. I haven’t found any solutions to this so ill just split the files and play by the rules :slight_smile:

Just to round things off… :slightly_smiling_face:
Unfortunately, Cubase doesn’t write markers to exported audio files. However, if you have WaveLab, you can set Range Markers (one for each individual song) in the audio file previously exported by Cubase. When saving to .wav type in WaveLab, these markers can be transferred to the audio file. Almost all Audio Editor and Player apps can read these markers, e.g. MPC-HC. This would allow the receiver to recognize where the songs are and jump between them, too.
A somewhat unusual alternative (don’t laugh!) would be a short acoustic signal (e.g. a beep) between the songs. Ok, just saying…

Thanks a lot ASM very much appriciated - I’ll see if i can do it with WaveLab :slight_smile: