How to input notes and rests wherever I want?

Hello, everyone
I was using Cakewalk 9.0, about 20 years ago.
Cakewalk was so easy to write notes and rests wherever I want
I can input any notes of any length to wherever I want on the staff
and even creating harmony (chord) was easy.
I c an create any chord of even more than 4 polyphonies.

But nowadays, Finale, MuseScore, Sibelius, Dorico do not offer such easy interfaces.
It is complicated if I want to add some note of specified length to some place in the staff.

That is, I want to input any note of some specified length to any place in the staff
and want to create any chord or any harmony with more than 3 notes together

May I ask
What is the easiest way to learn such skills in Dorico???

I wanted to buy Dorico Pro 4, but I found even Dorico is not so easy to learn, like othe SW’s.

Please help me and I will appreciate if you can help me or introduce a nice youtube video or documents explaining about these.

Thank you and have a nice day

Hi Morphism, welcome to the Dorico Forum.

A good place to start is to sit down with a nice cup of tea (or several in fact) and work diligently through the Dorico First Steps Guide

Then, head over to YouTube and subscribe to the Dorico channel for some really excellent tutorials covering all manner of things

Also, this is excellent too

There’s no shortage of materials to get you on your way. Good luck!

1 Like

Dear Robert:

Thank you for your prompt help and kindness.
I found Dorico is not so easy as Calkewalk 9.0 did long time ago.
I want to use Calkewalk-like scorewriter.
Major point is, in Cakewalk I don’t need to care about rests. Rests are just nothing, silence.
So I can input notes to wherever without caring about rests there.
But other SW’s including Dorico don’t. That is my discontent…

But, nowadays, Dorico is very famous so I wanted to buy 4.2 version

So, as you guided me, I will study the materials and videos you recommended.

If I found easy skills to input any notes of any length of any pitch to wherever I want,
I will buy Dorico soon

Thank you so much and see you again, Robert.
Have a nice day !!!

In case you didn’t know, the SE edition of Dorico is free

And free on the iPad too

But Dorico is exactly the same way. In fact, it works very much like Cubase in that regard. Input any note length you want, and don’t worry about the rests.

Yes, I know it is free.
But may I ask:

Does Dorico Pro have more good functions than SE version??
If I am acquainted fully enough with Dorico Pro, I want to buy it.
I have several compositions which I am writing now, so want to get help from scorewriters.

Thank you, Robert.

Can you tell us a little bit more about what exactly you want to do? Based on your needs, we can recommend which version would be best for you.

Are you writing for more than two players? More than 24? Do you care about the intricacies of the appearance of the final score, or is it just a reference?

1 Like

Hello, Dan.
Nice to meet you !

For example, if I want to 16th or 32th note to somewhere when the major spacing is 4th
and even there there is some rests of lenght, I cannot input notes there.
Also, if I want to use syncopation, in Cakewalk, it was so easy, but I don’t know to how to do syncopation in Dorico now…
Cakewalk was so intuitive, so nothing to learn was required.
But Dorico, Finale, Sibelius all require manual studying.

So please help me with these issues. Thank you…

Understandable that there is a learning curve, but very simple once you learn how to do it. In the very bottom left corner, you need to change the resolution of your rhythmic grid to some thing like 16th notes.

“Intuitive” is subjective and tenuous. Pretty much any complex and powerful program requires some intentional learning.

1 Like

I am writing some kind of piano solo music, like classical genre.
I want to create any chords easily, any syncopation, any resolution
any inserting notes to any places
In cakewalk I can create chords easily where some notes belong to treble , others to bass so easily
But nowadays, every SW including Dorico, it is not permitted.
In cakewalk, translation, transposing, syncopation were easy.

I need to study more to learn the skill

SO please help me… Thank you

To be honest, the free version would probably be fine for you. As another user posted above, please do consider reading through the first steps guide and watching the tutorials. The things you were wanting to do are quite easy to achieve once you understand how the program works. Give it a chance and I think you will be cooking with gas in no time.

Thank you, Dan.
Then may I ask:
What is the benefit of Pro Version???
Actually, as I said, I had interest in buying it.

Well, I certainly don’t want to steer you away from that. I would imagine the majority of users here use the pro version, as I do, and it is indeed very powerful. And we are also glad to support the development of this excellent product.

The pro version allows greater complexity of editing the score, such as divisi, condensing, and many nuances of fine-tuning the finished product. You have no limitations to the number of players in your score, and you have greater control over staff spacing, note spacing, etc.

OK, I understand
I guess you may mean that at first, try to use SE version and
maybe later I may consider Pro version.

So I will try to use SE version now. So have a nice weekend and see you again, Robert.
Thanks!!!

Same to you, and welcome to the forum. Actually, you might want to demo the pro version free for 30 days, and see what features you can’t live without.

Right…!
Of course, today I began to use trial Pro version,
so came to write a post here.

See you

When did you last visit England Dan!?

Haha, I’m no Brit, I just play one on the forum.

Actually I didn’t know that was a Britishism…

It’s sort of a “Britishism” but not very common. I don’t know about the US, but gas (ie not petrol) has gone up 10 zillion % here, so we’re burning semibreves (whole notes) :cold_face:

The internet says that it was an advertising slogan of the American Gas Association in the 1930’s, started in California that they TRIED to make popular. Then some of Bob Hope’s writers began to use it for wry jokes. He apparently exported the phrase during WWII shows abroad to the troops and such.