How to install Cubase 12 on different drive letter?

I just bought the upgrade from C11P to C12P and am trying to install on my E: drive. Yet it seems the installer doesn’t give the option to install anywhere but the default C: drive now. I have C11P on my E drive with the rest of my audio software. C is strictly OS.

How do I get C12P to install to a different location beyond default on the C: drive?

Cubase is storing all its settings in the users Appdata and Documents folder on C: and in the registry, so I am not sure how good of an idea it is to install it on another drive.

Out of curiosity, why would you want to install it on another drive? If no sufficient space is the reason, then I’d suggest to simply upgrade your C disk. :thinking:

1 Like

Indeed, rather a pointless exercise to move the actual Cubase install to another location. The application folder is only 1Gb and the AppData is around 250Mb, (Documents are a few Mb).

However: It is worth noting that of course using Library Manager you can move the content to any drive or location that you wish. For example, I have 106Gb of Cubase and Nuendo Content on my F: Drive.

3 Likes

Gentlemen, I’m not looking for opinions on why I separate the application from my C drive, but am only asking for solutions on how to direct this via the installer (or through other means).

Older installers from C11 and down used to allow this. I’m not seeing the option to chose in the C12 installer and am asking if there was something I’m missing or if you knew of a means to have it install on a different drive letter?

Yes, I’m aware the settings remain on C regardless. Please keep it on topic and not try to force a debate on my reasonings.

If we understood the reasoning, we may help you find a solution.
It could very well be possible, that Steinberg decided to not let users choose anymore, as installing the program on another drive could cause certain issues.

1 Like

Thanks. If you find a way to get the installer to behave like previous installers please let me know!

I figured it out! Skip the Setup.exe and go into the "Additional Content\Installer" folder and click on the Cubase12.msi

This Cubase12.msi will let you chose the location to install the Cubase app!