How to install LS Iris music font

The font have 2 files: LS Iris.json & LSIris.otf.

• I changed LSIris.otf to LSIris.ttf and put it in the folder: Dorico 3.5/fonts.
  • The j.son-file I put in the metadata-folder together with Bravura etc.

After changing the desired font-name in Engrave/ styles it works fine in the score - BUT the music-notes still are the “old” bravura. And in the Engrave/Music Font I only see Bravura and Petaluma.
What’s wrong?

(By the way. In the IRIS-font the letter b shows wrongly something else.

Why did you do that? Keep the .otf suffix!

Thanks. O.K. I thought all fonts should be *.ttf - I have changed to *.otf again. But still the IRIS-notefont is not available.

Are you on a Mac? If so, double click on the .otf file which will open the fontbook app to install the font in the system. Then restart Dórico and all should be well. (Leave the JSON file where it is.)

If you are on Windows, use system->personalization->fonts and drag/drop the otf file into the box.

The JSON file must be in a folder of the same name, and both names must be the same as the font name. I note that the font’s filename has no space: however, that might not matter if the actual ‘font name’ has a space. You should be able to see the name of the font in another app’s font list.

Most SMuFL music fonts don’t have Alphanumerics, so it’s not surprising that you’re getting weird characters when you use it for text.

I already did that. that. But - Thanks for the advice.

Thank you. I will try that tomorrow.

Any updates to this? I’m having the same issue.

I have no solution. Other fonts than the “automatic” is not important, and I did not have time to go deep in the problem. The LS font is beautiful - and some day …

Not sure if you solved this yet, but I came here to try to solve it too. I had to find a couple more sources. :slight_smile: I bought the font from Notation Central. Their instructions got me going in the right direction.
Move the .json file to this directory…
Library/Application Support/SMuFL/Fonts/LS Iris/
I had to create the SMuFL and obviously LS Iris folder. That did the job! (the LS Iris font was already installed on the system by double clicking the .otf file as described above)

It really is a beautiful font!

1 Like

You should already have the SMuFL folder, because the JSONs for Bravura and Petaluma will be inside. Make sure you’re putting them in the root level /Library folder, not the user home Library.

1 Like

Ah yes, that’s correct. I guess I just described the process of installing for me vs. all users on the computer…and since it’s just mine I would have never known!

FIRSTLY: I still cannot get LS Iris-music-font to show up in Dorico 4 under Library/Music Fonts.

1. In Programs/Steinberg/Dorico4/fonts/metadata/ I find bravura_metadata.json and petulana_metadata.json. There is no Smufl-map anywhere in the sub-maps. And I have tried to change the name to LS Iris_metadata.json
  2. Nowhere I find this: Library/Application Support/SMuFL/Fonts/LS Iris/ - I have created that and put the LS Iris.json in there. No result.

What have I to do exactly in Windows 10 and the newest Dorico 4.1 ?

NEXT: About the text-font LS Iris.odt. It is in the Windows-fonts, and I can use it in a score. But it is useless, because the letter b does not exist. (Please see my first post that started this thread).

The LS Iris is a beautiful font, and I look forward to use it someday.

Have you installed the actual OTF font in the usual Windows location/method for fonts, too?

Yes. I have . I can use it in Word also. But the letter b is wrong.

Have you restarted? Apparently, Windows needs to restart after installing fonts.

Yes. The LS Iris TEXT font has worked fsince Dorico 3.5. - And has no letter b.
The problem is the music-font. the LS Iris.json. Where shall I put that.

You need TWO files for a SMuFL music font:

1. A Font. This is a normal OTF or TTF font, but has no text characters, only music ones. You should not expect to use LS Iris for text in Word, and getting substituted glyphs from a system font is normal.

2. A JSON file. This contains extra data which a font file can’t contain.
    The location for this file is described here:

https://w3c.github.io/smufl/latest/specification/font-metadata-locations.html

On Windows, it should be:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\SMuFL\Fonts\ fontname \fontname .json

I have now tried to restart after changed name in C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Dorico4\fonts\metadata to “LS Iris.metadata.json” just like “bravura_metadata.json” in the same folder. No sign if the font in the open program Dorico 4 under library/SMuFL fonts = Music Fonts