How to keep bars from collapsing after "remove rests"

Hi, I’ve been using “remove rests” to remove the whole rest from empty bars through which I have these long multi-measure glissandi, but now I see that in the parts those bars have collapsed to a tiny horizontal width. Is there a global way to tell Dorico not to do this? I was looking for some sort of minimum measure width but can’t seem to find that. If not I’ll just use 0% opacity or my empty notehead set in the future.

Thanks!

Don’t do it that way. Instead, there’s an option in Layout Options to NOT display bar rests in empty bars.

To add the rests back, click on the last note before the empty bars (or the first note after the empty bars), and toggle off “ends voice” or “starts voice”).

If you need bar rests elsewhere in the layout (in bars that don’t contain glissandi, for example), try manually inserting System Breaks.

I… guess I’m not actually following how to do this. I’m actually pretty baffled by the starts/ends voice toggles in general tbh (apart from the basic instance where there are multiple voices in a bar and you want to hide extraneous rests). In this case if I click the last note before or first note after, the toggles were all already off and it’s doing that thing where you flip the toggle on and it flips itself off again right away. Is there anything problematic about just doing this with 0% opacity?

I guess I don’t understand that either :confused: How does it affect the rests?

In general, don’t use that. Just select the rests you want to hide and Edit-Remove Rests. Dorico will set start and end points for you.

In this case if I click the last note before or first note after, the toggles were all already off and it’s doing that thing where you flip the toggle on and it flips itself off again right away.

Not to be contrary, but you’re doing it wrong. The toggles for “starts voice” and “ends voice” are pretty predictable. Can you post a screenshot? Maybe you have multiple voices.

Scratch my idea; it doesn’t work.

The reason you can’t make “starts voice” stick on is because the voice is already “started”. If you want to use these toggles manually, you have to find the last note in the voice before the rests and set “ends voice”.

You can’t set “ends voice” unless there is a rest immediately after the note where you are trying to set it.

If there is another note after a rest, that note will automatically start the voice again.

It’s usually easier to let “remove rests” from the Edit menu set these properties for you rather than doing it yourself.

Thank you for this explanation, I think I’m finally starting to understand that tool now and was able to test it to hide some full bar rests (with the “show rests in empty bars” option still being checked in layout options). However, it looks like the beginning of my glissando won’t let itself be the end of a voice even though there are bars of rest after it - the toggle switches back off, I’m guessing because of the glissando.

I tried unchecking “show rests in empty bars” and doing this in a section where I wanted the rests to show but it doesn’t actually bring them back… (if that’s what you meant?)
Sorry for all the hassle everyone - opacity seems to work like a charm here so I think I’ll just go with that. But this is all valuable info about tools I didn’t understand, so very useful anyways.