how to keep recording in background even after punch out?

hi, all. im new with cubase, coming from pro tools. was wondering if there was a way to keep recording audio in the background after pressing (*) (punchout), while keeping the playhead running? so that i can still peel the clip to the right even after punch out, just for fine tuning the crossfades at a later time? thanks.

It will record up to 60 seconds in “stop” mode. Not sure if this will allow post-record, try it.
You need to specify a time in the Prerecord field in the recording options.
See the Op. Manual Pg. 117

It’d be interesting to have a post-record feature as well, +1 for that.

Not to be funny, but I let it record extra at the end just in case… Then I trim all my takes or sections as a separate action later once the recording’s done.

But, occasionally when I’ve jumped the gun and pressed punchout too early I rely entirely on the 60 seconds of pre-record buffer and simply press record again to bring it into a new clip on the timeline. I then have to wind the start back but that’s pretty quick to do. You can join them together if you really want to by bouncing.

Mike.

Wow, i’m a bit freaked out that there is no direct option in the settings or preferences menu for this. All too often we have no choice but to punch out (even if it’s just to avoid getting weird looks from the artist or client), and a lot of times those punch outs need to be fine tuned to the next clip. The pre-record “fix” is a messy way to accomplish something so basic, i think.

It happened to me that i punched out a few milliseconds earlier, and even with crossfading you could still hear a bit of weirdness. You can imagine my utter shock when i found out that THAT was the end of the clip, nothing more follows.

Seriously, yes, please, steinberg, this is a MUST.

Why don’t you just keep recording?? If your doing live recording then I think you should not punch in and out but I don’t do much of that. Instead of punching you could set up a loop point and it will continue to record as new versions, then you can combine them. It will catch all the stuff you need.

Why should i keep recording when i’ve gotten the section i needed? You mean i have to record an extra section everytime, just to have my peace of mind? You mean i have to peel back in post production each and every time just to ensure i am not missing a spot? That just doesn’t sound right. If pre record exists, then i don’t see why post record should not. It seems to me that this is a case wherein the DAW would train me to acquire habits i’m just uncomfortable with.

If you hit ‘Stop’ you are telling Cubase you are done. Why the hell would you want it to make decisions about your production skills later? That just does not make any sense.

You can always create another track and comp them together later. It is not your software’s job to make decisions for you. The prerecord is a blessing for punch in if the engineer or player doesn’t hit it right the first time. Not sure how that ‘Post Recording’ is even something I could see anyone ever needing. Just don’t stop recording…

Hit the protools button. that should do it

First of all, I never said to hit the stop button. That would be the spacebar. But I did say punch out while keeping the play head running. Background recording in PT is so basic and In built since as far as anyone can remember and have saved many an ass before. It doesn’t clutter up your edit window with strange overlaps, no, but the audio is there for the peeling when you need it. You are not making anyone or anything make decisions for you,you are simply ensuring that none of your data is lost in case you need any of those at a later time. The prerecord is a blessing if one does not hit it right at the beginning and I don’t see why that blessing isn’t there when one doesn’t hit it right towards the end.

I am explaining this not to argue or say that pro tools is superior over Cubase, no. I am saying this because I am seriously considering purchasing Cubase and I want a product that is as safe to use as the ones that I used before it. I am used to having my data in tact despite punch ins and outs. And I seriously thought it was something so basic that I never considered one fully developed software like Cubase to not have it. Hit the pro tools button? That advice helped a lot.

Sorry for the snarky remark but I didn’t get why you wanted to do the post record without recording?? Makes no sense?? So what your saying is that protools keeps recording until you hit stop? Even on a punch out? So basically you just want to keep recording right? So just keep recording.not so hard I would say. What you don’t want is the extra length of the audio track. Try contacting steinberg and see what they say. Looks like nobody knows about that on here. Support might know about this if it exists. Don’t think so though.

Yes, i think i migt need to contact steinberg. But to clarify, yes, in pro tools: so as not to record over the clip that i don’t intend to record on, i punch out without pressing stop. This ensures that when i punch out, i hear and see the previous clip that i intend to retain, but in the background (i.e. Unseen/unheard), pro tools continues to capture the artist’s take until i press the spacebar to stop. Now, it is my habit to ask the artist to play/sing along once i hit the play button and to stop only when the sound stops. This way when i make a wrong punch in or out, i have enough material to save my ass. So essentially, in PT the recording process begins once you press the play button, you just wont see or hear it till you press record. I have made it my habit to to punch out where i’m supposed to but to keep the playhead running for another second or two in case i need to fine tune the crossfade later. Sorry for not being very clear about that in the original post. I sort of assumed there was an equivalent function and i just needed to tick an option somewhere.

Sounds like this is a deal breaker for you. If you find out let us know. Then again there is always the protools button!!

That’s fine when you’re working on personal projects.but when you’re working with artists and producers who give you explicit instructions to punch in/out where they want, you have to follow that."

Ah i get it. lol im a producer so i guess i wouldnt understand.o