How to keep text inside page margins?

I’ve noticed that sometimes the Tempo marking text or any other text notes I enter into the music run off the page, outside of the margin and sometimes completely off the page. Is there anyway to auto-wrap text (for the text objects) or any way to turn on collisions for page margins so stuff doesn’t run outside the margin?

No. The only way for now is to keep your eyes open and use manual System Breaks judiciously.

That’s what I thought :frowning:

Thanks

There isn’t really any alternative to manual intervention. Since Tempo markings are traditionally left-aligned to the place where they apply, if you automatically push them to the left to avoid running into the margin, you would change the meaning, for a human reader.

The simplest fix is usually to insert a system break so they start near the left margin.

I recall Daniel mentioning that they might consider an option to automatically take these sorts of markings into account when casting off. I don’t think it was definite though.

Yeah but I would think there’s some other solution than pushing the the text to the left. Or at least an option to have a system break happen automatically. Another idea would be some sort of warning log of instances where the margin is broken than I can then jump to and manually adjust. It’s too easy to miss just one instance after printing and then have a stack of useless paper if you’re trying to deliver a professional project.

Ahem… Sorry if this sounds unpleasant (that’s not the idea at all!), but professional projects are proofed. And since casting off is one of the first things to be taken care of, it’s something hard to miss.

I’m rather more worried about Dorico’s current inability to translineate tempo text. Either to avoid breaking the margin or to cast everything tighter, one often breaks the marking (or the metronome mark) into two lines. This is something that has to be faked with text, nowadays, and it starts by creating paragraph or character styles and so on… Now that’s a bit of a pain.

Of course I know proofreading is a must, but I’m working in musical theater and sometimes you only get a few hours to do a rewrite, anything to help speed up the process is appreciated. So many other things happen very elegantly right now in Dorico it’s definitely helped a lot, but as the program is only still relatively new the workflow of getting notes to program to printed page is not as streamlined yet as with Finale which I have over a decade of experience with and can anticipate its quirks.

Of course I know proofreading is a must, but I’m working in musical theater and sometimes you only get a few hours to do a rewrite, anything to help speed up the process is appreciated. So many other things happen very elegantly right now in Dorico it’s definitely helped a lot, but as the program is only still relatively new the workflow of getting notes to program to printed page is not as streamlined yet as with Finale which I have over a decade of experience with and can anticipate its quirks.

Some kind of automatic text-wrap option would be great to have in the future!

Has this changed in recent updates? Is there a setting to keep text inside the margins? For example:

No, no change here.

1 Like

Not automatically, but you can adjust the relevant margin either for the whole layout or on individual pages.

Individual pages? Is that new?

No, overrides for music frame margins (“frame padding”) and flow headings (via a page-specific flow heading change) have been around for a while.

Ah, as overrides. Got it.

Or you could set up a page template whose music frame margins are set to something different, and use that page template on the relevant pages. Those properties work when overriding a page and when editing a page template.

1 Like

Yes, I’ve been adjusting margins. I have a lot of these Shift-X texts, all different number of lines, and am editing them, so there’s plenty of Engrave fooling around needed. It all works fine for now, except one text that spills way off to the right, onto another page. Maybe I’m using the wrong tool for this job. Maybe text frames make more sense.

Oh, what a great and usefull advice!
I never thought about using a page template for this.
I just tried and this is not only working very well it is also very easy and quite fast to apply or remove such a page template change.
I can imagine to create a few such “High top margin” alternative templates for several cases where a lot of text or whatever are in the way.

Thanks a lot for this great tip :slight_smile:

1 Like