How to monitor MIDI controller message values?

Hi All

I’m quite new to Cubase (using v6.5) and this is my first post. I searched the manual and this site but couldn’t find an answer. How can I monitor incoming MIDI message values without actually recording it? I need to view the input data values of a MIDI controller in setting up Expression maps. The Cubase transport merely indicated that MIDI messages are sent, but not what those values are. Any help would be most appreciated.

Tom

Try using the included Midi Monitor plugin.

…thanks for the reply Split. Does this mean that I would need to create a track to be able to invoke the Midi Monitor plug in, or can it run independently? I’ve also managed to install a free 3rd party vsti that does the equivalent, and takes up less screen real estate.

Since this a Cubase forum, he thought you were asking how to do it in Cubase. It is not stand alone. MIDI-OX and MIDI Yoke are a couple of utilities you can use. Not sure what you found stand alone.

…I apologise for any confusion. What I meant was, to be able to run the plugin in Cubase without having to create a track first to assign it to. However I get the impression that this is not possible. I find it a little odd that a way to monitor MIDI data values on input is not something inbuilt into the GUI.

1 Like

Why is that odd? It is a recording/edit/mix program. It records/edits and mixes. It has MIDI tracks, which you can monitor. What’s so odd about that?

Why is that odd? It is a recording/edit/mix program. It records/edits and mixes. It has MIDI tracks, which you can monitor. What’s so odd about that?

…well it seems viewing incoming MIDI data is an after-thought, hence the need for a plug-in. It would be convenient having it displayed within the main project GUI or within the edit screens. Floating windows and panels tend to get buried easily in a busy, often cluttered environment. Ultimately its a matter of what are the considered priorities for each person. I guess I was quite used to having that data easily visible when I used Notator SL on an Atari ST many years ago! It does seems the emphasis is more towards audio rather than MIDI nowadays with most DAWs, even if Cubase of yesteryear had its roots solely in MIDI sequencing.

1 Like

But does it stop you achieving what you want?

But does it stop you achieving what you want?

No…just more difficult.

Ah… If only everything was as we wanted it :sunglasses: life would be a breeze :laughing:

hey, at least someone thought the MIDI monitor would come in handy, even if they didn’t plonk it on the front :nerd:

hey, at least someone thought the MIDI monitor would come in handy, even if they didn’t plonk it on the front

…probably an aspiring geneticist :nerd:. MIDI data is kinda equivalent to our DNA…its good to see what its up to!

…just to update things. I noticed that Midi Monitor is also a script that can be called up within Kontakt 5. Its located by clicking on the script icon in: Preset/Factory/Utilities/. A very handy location to have it, and it takes up less screen space.

So, I must be a real newbie…I can’t figure out how to invoke the Midi Monitor. I see it in the Devices->Plugin Information menu, but haven’t figured out how to invoke it. I’m sure this is a stupid question, but exactly how to I start/invoke the Midi Monitor? :question:

…you invoke it through the Track Inspector for the particular track. Selectable through the plug-ins drop down menu within the ‘MIDI Inserts’ tab.

1 Like

I’ve wanted to mess with screen capture stuff … So, here is my first Youtube video. Something this short and simple was a perfect subject :mrgreen:

JMCecil, thanks a million, dude! Never would have figured that out in any reasonable timeframe. Just starting out on this long learning curve! :wink:

great! worked for both of us then :slight_smile: