How to nudge forwards backwards in small increments

No. You probably have the wrong selection (if you’re using the LE preset I posted.)

This is not the PLE, it’s the LE. These little details are rather important, and if you aren’t perspicacious enough it’s holding you back.

But i need to perform these actions on both MIDI and audio events and parts… isn’t the LE only for MIDI?

I only referred to the preset I posted. You can chain the commands, of course, as macros. Be aware that Cubase Pro 12 has enhanced functions in this area, so maybe download the trial. If you are not on Cubase 9, add the c12 tag, or add your OS, system info, and Cubase product and version to your profile: go to https://forums.steinberg.net/u/Jazzius/preferences/profile

Please experiment in a mock project so you can learn this on your own. The designers meant for that.

It almost seems possible in the PLE, i was hoping the “container type is” option would do it, but no dice.

Seems to me the PLE also needs a filter target category that is called “location” or something like that, so that you can specify where in the interface (in the arrange window? In the MIDI edit window? In the audio part edit window?) the action should take place.

If anyone knows how to fix this i’d be externally grateful!

well, as I posted above,

But you might have to have separate commands, if chained macros are executed too fast.

Sure, but i don’t think it will work for audio events inside audio parts, because the LE doesn’t work on audio.

I could be wrong, i never messed with the LE / PLE much before.

So to be clear, i need one set of key commands that will move, lengthen and move the start point of MIDI and audio parts and events by arbitrary amounts (say 1 tick). When i’m in the arrange window, it should only affect parts. When i’m inside a part editor, it should only affect selected events.

Are you actually reading my “advice”

Hi,

If I’m not mistaken, you can separate the Nudge Step Size from the Quantize since Cubase 12.

Hi Martin,

Great, i didn’t know it was added to 12!

Only strange thing is, why don’t they let us choose a user defined number of ticks?!

Another problem: because for most binary options Cubase doesn’t give us absolute key commands, only toggle, it means it’s not possible to set up macros so that one key command will move be quantize, while another let’s you nudge by milliseconds (for example). Because you need to manually toggle the “link to grid” options to the right position each time. I can’t comprehend why Steinberg doesn’t realize that a whole new range of macros would be possible if they let us set absolute button positions with a key command.

The weird thing is, for snap, they realized it was important, so gave 3 options: on, off & toggle. But for most buttons / options, its just toggle.

Sure, but as i mentioned i can’t see a way to nudge audio events in side parts by amounts unrelated to the quantize value. If there’s a way, feel free to explain.

In Cubase 12 if you turn off Link to Grid in the nudge settings, and then set it to Seconds and then 1 ms, you can make very fine adjustments.
2023-01-27 12_11_58-Cubase Pro Project - Untitled1