How to play external midi modules from my controller in Cubase?

No, I made the presets list from scratch, from the MIDI Device manager. It was at least ten years ago, with the presets that I am using on the unit. I haven’t changed them, since. Never felt the need to…

Concerning your own units, they should work, provided that you use the Create bank and Allow edits options. I successfully used these with another external unit, so…

ok thanks man. I’ll give it a try. Right now I have no control over the banks on the modules. I have a patch of strings that I need to get to from Cubase track but because I can’t send the bank along with the patch number it’s only seeing bank 0 when I need bank 1. I’ve never ran into a DAW that had an issue sending basic bank and patch info to the module. Is this another thing that should be working by default that isn’t?
C

UPDATE
Just an FYI. ON all of the Alesis sound modules and I’m sure many others the Bank Selector only works when you use 0 to 255 as “bank 0” and 256 to 383 as “bank 1” then from 384 to 511 is “bank 2” and so on. So every 127 increments is the next bank after the first bank which were bank 0 is 0-255! Weird!
Can I fix this in the Midi manager for this instrument if I make it from scratch?
Speaking of Midi Manager; I set up “Bank 0” and “Bank 1” under “Patch Banks”

In the “Bank 0” row is shows columns.
MIDI MESSAGE NAME, then VALUE, Valid Range and MIDI MESSAGE BYTES
One of the options under the first column is “cc: BankSelect MSB” there is also another one that reads “cc: BankSelect LSB”. Do you know if I"m on the right track with this so I can actually set this up so I can use bank 0 through 4 (or whatever the modules offers) rather than having to add the bank number manually after 128 increments?

Hi again, and sorry for the delayed answer…

Well, yes, bank and patch infos should work without hassle. The problem is that each and every synth modules have their own way to manage banks/patches. I just looked at my Korg 05R/W, another synth module of mine, which has user editable programs (RAM), “multis” (GM sounds dispatched through 16 MIDI channels) and “combinations” (up to 8 sounds dispatched through different MIDI channels, either GM or user defined). What could be interesting is this :

It’s a screenshot of my 05R/W ptch scripts, showing mainly the 128 GM programs dispatched in 4 GM banks. Actually, all the bank messages are formated in 14 bits, the GM ones having a bank message with a 7128 value. All the others have a bank messages with a value of 0.
Here is an user program message :

05RW_UserProgram

… and here is a “combination” one :

05RW_Combination

All these work and I’m thinking more and more that I did a dump request to the unit, at some point. The problem is that several years have passed and I don’t remember how I have proceeded. What is important, though, is that every unit has its own way of managing and reacting to bank/programs messages. So, without the documentation of your Alesis units, I’m afraid that things are going to be difficult…

Wow…lots of work was put into that. I’m no stranger to working hard to get it to work the way I want but at this point I’m not sure I fully understand what I’m looking at exactly. Oh I do have the original documentation of the Alesis products…right in front of me. There is a Midi implementation page for each one.
It has been soo freaking long since I jumped into this sort of thing. I too am trying to recall how this was done. Alesis is talking about SysEx dumps to change default settings. There’s a word I haven’t heard in 30 years!

Interesting but after hearing and using some of the new VST libraries from Spitfire and VSL all of this older gear sounds like a $200 Casio Keyboard from 93’! Don’t get me wrong the effects, pads and other synth stuff sounds good but any organic instrument like strings, horns, woodwinds…yikes. Some of this stuff sounds like a elephant farting with a classic reverb on it! lol. I don’t want my organic instruments to sound “sort of like” the actually instrument…it needs to “be” the actual instrument. You know what I mean?

Which leads me to want to post a topic on this forum regarding high-end samplers like the Emu Ultra XT5000 series and Roland and Akai of the 90s and compare to the new VST libraries. Do they compare? Hmmm I’m not so sure but I don’t have any of that stuff here.

I would like to dive into all of these modules to get the most out of them though. Exploring the midi and controls is part of this.
Here’s a shot of the MIDI implantation page of the NanoSynth but all of them are the same.
There is talk in the manual about using MOTOs Unisyn program to all fully programming of the NanoSynth.