how to playback an ossia staff

Dear users and developers,

How could I playback an ossia staff?
Proofreading staves with lots of notes is often stressful and Listening to the playback of the staff is sometimes efficient for me.
However, I could not playback an ossia staff. When playing after selecting notes on an ossia staff, the notes on its main staff are played back.
Is it intended behaviour?

Yes, it’s intended that no music on ossia staves plays back (mentioned here).

Thank you for your kind answer. When playing all staves, it is no problem and is required protection to playback music correctly.
For me, it would be sometimes useful to hear the selected notes on ossia staff by playback.

In any case, I should be accustomed to it. :wink:

Dear Prko,
To answer your last sentence, you might find the Swap feature useful. Select the contents of your ossia, shift down arrow to select also the contents of the non ossia staff it’s attached to, Swap, play. Now you hear the ossia version. Don’t forget to undo or swap back :wink:

1 Like

Dear Marc,

Oh, it is perfect! Thank you very much!

Dear Marc,

Sorry for asking one more question. I misunderstood the word “Swap”. The “Swap” in “Voice” menu in the Context menu does not swap the notes on the adjacent staves.
Is there a way to swap the notes in the selected two adjacent staves? I could not find it.

Look in the “paste special” menu insted of the “voice” menu.

Oh, thanks!!!

I would think being able to play back the Ossia staff would make more sense. You write something, but then use an Ossia to show how it would have to be played.

Paolo

1 Like

A playback switch would be great, where you could decide to play back the normal version or the ossia version.

4 Likes

An example: I’m working on a Mozart’s piano concerto. The manuscript is very clear, and it is easy to make a faithful score.

At the same time, what the score says is not what it actually means. You have to improvise on those long notes. What you want to hear is your improvisation.

Going back, this is even worse with all the implicit ornaments of the baroque era. Separating visual appearance from performance is a great idea.

Paolo

3 Likes

This is also true when writing scordatura strings. Typically, string player prefer to read a fingering in the normal staff and see the sounding pitch in an ossia. In cases like this, the sound of the main staff is actively wrong.

2 Likes

Am I wrong, or this is unchanged in Dorico 4? Ossia parts are not played back, and playback still comes from the main part?

Maybe this can be address using different voices? The main part notes set not to play back, and the Ossia notes sent to a different voice, that will be the actual playback.

Paolo

Ossias are indeed not played back in Dorico 4, just as they have not played back in any version since they were introduced in Dorico 2.