How to present a piano intro without removing the players of the flow?

I would like to conserve space in a page layout of a four voice choir with piano accompaniment system. The piano intro is 12 bars long before the players join in (which occupies a full page and a half). Is it possible to just have the piano intro only be displayed and then seamlessly include the choir voices?
I have tried using a separate flow for the piano intro only and then switching the order of the flows. I then deleted the first 12 bars of the original layout but I still lose half a page. There is room below the piano intro to begin the other flow… But that’s where I’m stuck.
How can I join the two flows together.
I am using Dorico elements and have no ability to open another page to insert a text box to copy paste the intro into.

Any Ideas on how to work around this
Thanks in advance
Daniel

You can make Flows “follow” on the same page in Layout Options > Page Setup > Flows.

Alternatively, you could do it as one flow, using a Manual Staff Visibility Change on a System Break (if Elements can do this), at the start, and at the choir’s entry.

(Or Hide Empty Staves in Layout Options: but you’ll have to add something like a Text item of a single space to “show” the Soprano empty lines where you do want them.)

I’d try to make the piano staves closer together using the Ideal Gaps values in Layout Options. And I wouldn’t use abbreviated staves on every system – the choir will stay in their lanes!

EDIT: I’ve found an XML file of the Cantique online. It needs tidying up, but the document will show you what you need to do.

Faure Cantique.dorico (1.8 MB)

2 Likes

Thanks benwiggy for getting back to me so quickly.
Just correct me if I’m wrong…
1- In the layout options / Flows. I have ‘‘Allow on existing page’’ highlighted for ‘‘New Flows’’.
2- [quote=“benwiggy, post:2, topic:910550”]
Alternatively, you could do it as one flow, using a Manual Staff Visibility Change on a System Break (if Elements can do this), at the start, and at the choir’s entry
[/quote]
I created a system break but I do not see anything in the Engrave panel referring to Manual Staff Visibility Change - ( I’ve also looked in all the dropdown headings.

I just tried ''Hide empty staves in the Staff Visibility section of the Vertical Spacing section - What a surprise… I’ll closely inspect the effects, but yeah! Looks good so far.
The Ideal gap values I’m using is 2 for the note spacing and 6 (5.5mm) for the rastral space size. Still 12 pages long.
I’ll check out the file you sent me Thanks for that Ben. :+1:

@KinfolK51 Here more infos about manual Staff Visibility in Elements: