How to properly write and playback: DOUBLE, TRIPLE, AND QUADRUPLE STOPS

For the TRIPLE, AND QUADRUPLE STOPS, especially, the player usually plays the low strings first then sweep to the high strings. I have tried on the Quadruple stops playing back on NotePerformer/HSE/Spitfire BBCSO discover, the four notes are played together no matter which playback engine is used. It seems I need to manually adjust the length of the lowest two notes to generate a real sounding Quadruples.

I want to know whether there is anything missing on my writing?

Is there any symbol for DOUBLE, TRIPLE, AND QUADRUPLE STOPS need to be placed on the notes?

There is no special symbol. Sometimes the lower notes are written as grace notes rather than a full chord.

For realistic playback you have adjust the note lengths in play mode.

BTW violinists won’t love you for writing a quadruple stop like the one in your example which is very hard to play in tune!

Thank you for sharing. I am writing an assignment of multiple stops.

I find the HSO engine can playback these multi stops pretty well.

Computers can play anything :wink:

I once had to play a modern piece which included a part for small chamber organ (no pedals) and which had an interval of a 12th in the LH. The top note couldn’t be played by the RH. On a good day I can just reach al 11th if I have time to prepare it. The composer was annoyed at me for pointing out that this was, probably for 95% of the keyboard-player population, unplayable, as I’m sure it sounded just fine to him on his computer setup.

Perhaps he intended it to be performed on a 17th-century keyboard, with narrower keys? :laughing:

Or with a short octave keyboard?

I’ve seen a tenth A to C# in the left hand in 16th century keyboard music, which would be an octave C# to C# with short octave tuning.

Would that suggest he was a Virginal composer? :mrgreen:

Most historical keyboards are the same width as the modern “standard” to within about 5mm (and some are a bit wider, not narrower), except for a very few keyboards with octave widths of around 125-135mm compared with the modern 165 or 167mm.

So you only gain about quarter of a key-width over an octave span.

I know, a short octave is a boon for early keyboard music, but as I’m sure you all can imagine, this particular composer simply looked upon performing musicians as a [perhaps not so] necessary evil in music.