How to record midi control change on separate track?

Hi,

I have Cubase Pro 8.5, how to record midi control change data on separate tracks?

For example, I add an Arturia VST instrument and record a melody. Now I want to record midi control change data to vary timbre, envelope, filter. etc. So say low pass filter varies at midi control number 160 and I assign this to a dial on my hardware midi controller. I move the dial and want to record this to a separate midi track in Cubase and not over my melody already recorded. How do I do this?

Thanks for any help,
Jules

Various ways to do it, but the simplest would be to:

• Duplicate the midi track with the melody
  • Delete all recorded data on the duplicate track.
  • Switch off monitoring on the melody track
  • Record away, any new incoming MIDI will only be recorded on the new track.

Alternatively, you can probably swing something with the logical transformer, but that’s probably more work…

Regards,

characterstudios

Thanks, but that won’t work. Duplicating a track creates another instance of that instrument. Anything recorded on this duplicate track goes to the duplicate instrument not to the original instrument :frowning:

Jules

Turned out to be easy in the end; add a Midi track and then in the track inspector, select midi out. Then a drop down list of available midi tracks appear. I then just select the instrument track I want to affect.

Jules

Sorry Jules, I had missed that you were using an instrument track, thought it was just a MIDI track.

In the end, half of my instructions should still work, but glad you figured it out!

Regards,

characterstudios